Woman took my car... civil issue... trying to get it back

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fixmycar

Reaction score
Gents and ladies....

So someone took my 2012 Yukon Denali. There is only 1 key and fob. I just had a replacement key made, but the dealer said it's not tied to the car so it won't start.

I have to go and pick it up, because the other person stopped paying me to use the car, stopped carrying insurance and apparently they don't have a valid DL.

I have since purchased insurance to cover me or else my DL was going to be suspended.
The car is in my name only (registration).... loan is in my name only and title is with the lien-holder (bank).

This is a 2WD model I believe according to the VIN. It does not say AWD.

Anyone have any options? Repo companies don't want to get involved. Tow Truck companies are saying, thanks but no thanks. The courts are not doing anything right now due to coronavirus.

Does anyone know if the key does have to be programmed by a locksmith or dealer to turn the car over?
Will the alarm go off if I put in a key and unlock it? If so, quicker to pop the hood and 10mm disconnect on the battery or pulling a fuse faster?

Any other suggestions? I've been paying for months on the car, now paying for insurance and I don't need this additional liability to carry on.

It's legal for me to go and get the car, I just can't "break the peace"..i.e. disturb it to get my property back. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,
Jim

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2012 denali? should have onstar doesn't it? or atleast available onstar. locate the vehicle have all your information on hand and see if gm onstar will activate the vehicle anti theft disabler so the vehicle will be unusable. you could also call the local or state police and have them meet you and a locksmith at the vehicle to reposes the vehicle. if you get the police involved tho make sure you have any and all information handy. if you go there by yourself and the individual start a ruckus it now becomes a public disturbance and since the vehicle is sitting on thier property or place of residence you can be asked to leave regardless of your legal right to retake the vehicle. a sneakier method would be if you can have gm disable the vehicle so it won't work. find out when the individual wont be around and call a tow truck company to have them tow the vehicle to an appropriate garage. claiming the vehicle needs to be taken to a gm dealership garage to have blah blah reprogrammed.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
repossession companies dont like to deal with private parties and if the tow truck driver just thinks hes doing a typical garage tow it wont be a problem. anyway try to do everything to watch yourself either way as this can quickly become a court battle.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
key will unlock the door but if the factory alarm is set then it will trigger and honk the horn repeatedly, I think you are WAY over complicating it. If the property is legally yours then you should be able to have the local police be present while you have it towed this ensures there will be no "disturbing the peace", if the police will not provide this service then I would just call them ahead of time and tell them you plan to retrieve your vehicle at a "specific time" and if they get a call then they already have been informed and declined to be of service when you requested it already. you just tell the tow company you need a vehicle towed, tell them it wont start and just needs to be towed so you can fix it. they don't need to know all the marital or loaner details it doesn't matter if the vehicle is legally yours to begin with and you show proof upon request.

also since you have a key now you can simply do the 30 minute relearn once you have it towed to your home. it wont cost you anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylesimmons