Woman took my car... civil issue... trying to get it back

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trailblazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m assuming you already called the Police due to how you titled this thread and they didn’t help you. If the title and registration are in your name then IT IS YOUR CAR. This is not a residence.
A stranger had zero right to your car. Is there more to this story?
Bring some tough friends with you that don’t have warrants. Anyways a Tech II on-site should be able to program the system to accept the key. If she calls the cops then let the cops watch you drive it away. If the alarm has some sort of disabler then let AAA take it away. They’ll deliver it to wherever you want. When they arrive and back up the truck, show him the ownership docs. Watch AAA man take it away. Doesn’t the alarm give you a few warning beeps? Keep a set of cable cutters handy.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The whole “the other person stopped paying me to use the car, stopped carrying insurance” bit is interesting. What sort of arrangement was this that they were basically renting/leasing the car as they were paying the OP and carrying insurance on the vehicle? The whole thing doesn’t add up for me.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m assuming you already called the Police due to how you titled this thread and they didn’t help you. If the title and registration are in your name then IT IS YOUR CAR. This is not a residence.
A stranger had zero right to your car. Is there more to this story?
Bring some tough friends with you that don’t have warrants. Anyways a Tech II on-site should be able to program the system to accept the key. If she calls the cops then let the cops watch you drive it away. If the alarm has some sort of disabler then let AAA take it away. They’ll deliver it to wherever you want. When they arrive and back up the truck, show him the ownership docs. Watch AAA man take it away. Doesn’t the alarm give you a few warning beeps? Keep a set of cable cutters handy.
Don't need a tech2, takes 30 minutes for a relearn either with a tech2 or without, no way around it.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like he took a loan out on a vehicle AND registered it in his name to do someone he was dating a favor and they were supposed to make payments to him, carry insurance, and drive it. And then shit hit the fan and the relationship went south and he’s left holding the bag and the other still has the vehicle. What a mess.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
The new, one post only member is reviewing these threads as I type. Not sure why they had not chimed in after 8 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
F

fixmycar

Reaction score
Sorry, I wasn't signed up to get notifications.

Rocketman is 100% correct. I tried to put all the information including the title of this thread about what was going on.

Officer Sparky

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Jim,
Don't do anything until you research the "code/law" for the state the truck is in. I have a feeling you have done this or talked to a LEO since you put "civil issue" in subject. In Alabama this would start as an "Unauthorized Use of a Motor Vehicle", and would not be listed into NCIC. DO NOT file a police report stating it's stolen yet. Because then it would be listed into NCIC and they would be arrested in a Felony Stop, as in possibly at gunpoint, handcuffed, taken to jail.... + you getting sued.

No, We, PoPo, will not meet you to get your truck back, because as you wrote it's a civil matter.... You are the registered owner right? You are on registration and insurance right? You know where the truck is , right? She can not report it stolen unless she can show a bill of sale, registration, or title with her name on it.

Now if you were married or in any kind of "Domestic Relationship" these things are probably different depending on your state code/law.

Where I am at if the is NO PAPERWORK showing an agreemant between you and there is no domestic relationship history... Me personally, I would simply get a key from dealership, unlock, let it chirp the 3-5 seconds until I started it and then drive off.

Never let anyone have possesion of your vehicle like this as it's a nightmare because they know they can't be held accountable. Never let anyone stay in your home for an extended time unless you KNOW THEM.
"UYeah, Bob was having a tough time so I have been letting him stay here for the last week. He stays in his room smoking crack 24/7"
Me " Sorry, It's a civil issue. You need to evict them. File papers with the county. I'm 10-8...

I AM NOT A LAWYER. DO NOT TAKE ANYTHING I POSTED AS ANYTHING MORE THAN AN ANON PERSON SPOUTING GIBBERISH.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mimi66972