Wireless solution for wired android auto

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tsuintx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like more and more of these are popping. Seen a few others lately, too. Or maybe I’m just noticing them more since I bought my Silverado and it came with factory AA/CP. Being a 2015, wife’s Suburban doesn’t have it.

Also just noticed this for Apple users on a truck site. https://cplay2air.com/products/cplaystreamer-wireless-adapter-for-factory-carplay-android-auto-module-and-mirror-link-feature

M
ain beef for people seem to be issues with losing/establishing connection. Not a surprise, I guess.

Good that there are options, but I think I’ll still make it work with the cable for now.

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like more and more of these are popping. Seen a few others lately, too. Or maybe I’m just noticing them more since I bought my Silverado and it came with factory AA/CP. Being a 2015, wife’s Suburban doesn’t have it.

Also just noticed this for Apple users on a truck site. https://cplay2air.com/products/cpla...y-android-auto-module-and-mirror-link-feature

M
ain beef for people seem to be issues with losing/establishing connection. Not a surprise, I guess.

Good that there are options, but I think I’ll still make it work with the cable for now.
I am going to order one of these for my Silverado in a couple days, hopefully it doesn't suffer the same delays the carplay adapters do, I read a little of the developers notes the only issue they noted was the wifi range but that was addressed already and they are going ahead with production.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Excuse my lack of knowledge in this, but I have a question on this subject: Could I connect a home WiFi router that has a USB port to the USB port on my HU? I know there are double male type A to type A cables and the routers run on 12VDC. Or, would I need an RJ45-to-USB A cable? I have an iPhone so I'm curious if there's a cheap solution until I splurge on a new HU with CarPlay.

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excuse my lack of knowledge in this, but I have a question on this subject: Could I connect a home WiFi router that has a USB port to the USB port on my HU? I know there are double male type A to type A cables and the routers run on 12VDC. Or, would I need an RJ45-to-USB A cable? I have an iPhone so I'm curious if there's a cheap solution until I splurge on a new HU with CarPlay.
if you get the car2play adapter it has the wifi portion built into the adapter, then it has it's own usb cable that plugs into the headunit in place of you plugging in the phone.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you get the car2play adapter it has the wifi portion built into the adapter, then it has it's own usb cable that plugs into the headunit in place of you plugging in the phone.

I saw that, it's just not worth $130 to me to invest into my current HU. I think "WiFi" which makes me think "router" and I know my main home router has a USB port, so I was wondering if I could stuff a similar router under the dash and have it connect my phone. I know you can configure routers to do certain things.

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw that, it's just not worth $130 to me to invest into my current HU. I think "WiFi" which makes me think "router" and I know my main home router has a USB port, so I was wondering if I could stuff a similar router under the dash and have it connect my phone. I know you can configure routers to do certain things.
it would be nice if it worked that way but it doesn't, it works via bluetooth & wifi combined, I am no expert but I believe the display data is sent via wifi and the touch & audio function works over bluetooth but I could be wrong it's just a hunch since bluetooth is limited to the amount of data it can send back & forth. I am sure it is explained somewhere on the internet.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it would be nice if it worked that way but it doesn't, it works via bluetooth & wifi combined, I am no expert but I believe the display data is sent via wifi and the touch & audio function works over bluetooth but I could be wrong it's just a hunch since bluetooth is limited to the amount of data it can send back & forth. I am sure it is explained somewhere on the internet.

I'll have to do more digging. I just want music streamed over WiFi for the sound quality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700