Why So Sluggish?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wambliokiye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So Nali has been getting Sluggish. No idiot light for this. I took her in for oil change and new battery. All the fluid checked all good, the bolt to check the front end was stripped and they didnt wanna break it. So that was not checked, gotta go back to the guys at jiffy lube. So new edelbrock cone filter, fluids checked but one, oil change and new filter, new battery and a full tank of the go juice. Hit the road and nothing, still running rough, at the stop lights it will rev up not much so i checked the plugs and i didnt change anything else. So i shit my self when i got the cost of 3 store items, oem spark plugs, spark plug cables and oem coil packs. $978.00!!!!!! Thats the cheap stuff. Sick! Anyway whay else is there to check? Maybe fuel filter? I need some advice. This is going back to the good ol days when you use your hands and figure it out, no computer play here. I havent used any addictives to the gas trany or oil fluids and no octain boosts. Maybe the air filter! This one is shorter! Not enough o2!? I know ima have to do the $978 sometime soon but i cant this month. Just gotta make sure i not damaging any other parts. Last thing! When i get on the highway it normally shot like a rocket, now i jump on it and motor revs no rocket shot and then it launches, also only getting like 7.5-8 miles a gal.

97audia4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless you have a misfire don't replace the coil packs. What kind of sluggish are you experienceing. Need some more detail before you are throwing parts at it for no reason.

When is the last time and milage any of the maintance items have been replaced ?

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
no cel is odd with your description of how bad it is. No offense but get rid of the "useless sound effects" oiled foam, cold air intake. start by removing the new filter and drive it to see if it improves, check the MAF elements and see if they are sooted with filter oil? at 7-8 mpg and the computer thinks all is well i would question the data it's gathering. i also would not throw coils/plugs/wires at an unknown/undiagnosed problem. at least it is doing it all the time and you will know when you find the issue.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What they said- don't just start throwing parts at it. You'll end up spending/wasting a LOT of money and still may not fix your problem. Start with the basics: An engine needs fuel (gasoline and air mixture), spark and compression. Unless your air filter is clogged or it's sized for a go-kart, you're getting plenty of air. I doubt you're getting an ignition misfire as that would be detected and you'd have an SES light. Lets assume for now you're not suddenly losing compression. Last item is fueling/fuel supply. Did any of this start soon after you did anything? Is that air filter oiled or dry?

I'd start by cleaning the MAF. If that air filter is oiled, use paper towels to dry it some. Yes, if it's one of those "just for show" hot air intakes, I'd advise you replace it. But, that's a whole other subject that's likely not related to your problem unless its an oily MAF sensor issue. If nothing improves after cleaning the MAF, then I'd check fuel pressure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14