Why is it so impossible to get a gas tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
LordWayback

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMG_7836.png
I’m thinking something like this and an adapter fitting to a bigger size if the hole is too big on the tank side, and 1/8” hose? To go from the tank vents to the vent this is basically how it works in the older trucks however I want to apply it to my truck to make the evap system hold pressure without completely replacing the tank over a small hole?

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a *2001* Yukon xl with a 5.3 I just got told I “need” a fuel tank supposedly one of the tank nipples is leaking. they did a smoke test and they refuse to do anything there but replace the tank in its entirety while there are evap fittings on top that are replaceable and the part itself may be mendable if someone went out and made replacement tanks for my particular tank they would make a killing as the only option is sketchy repairs, or junkyard risks.
Will keep this post updated when I drop the tank and start parts cannon and random repairs.
I’m not surprised you can’t find a NOS tank. Last year I thought I had punctured the tank in my 2015. Turns out no, but I also learned a new was not available. The K2 has only been out of production for 4 years.

OP
OP
LordWayback

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My main problem with it is if I’m gonna replace a original part it must be brand new.

OP
OP
LordWayback

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took out a small loan of a million dollars-Donald j trump
IMG_7838.png

OP
OP
LordWayback

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m not surprised you can’t find a NOS tank. Last year I thought I had punctured the tank in my 2015. Turns out no, but I also learned a new was not available. The K2 has only been out of production for 4 years.
I found one at $700 cannot confirm the in stockness of it some Chinese manufacturer needs to pick this design up and make it I would probably pay $350 or so for a brand new blowmolded one

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look into bulkhead fittings. May need a tube or a check valve on the inside to keep fuel from coming out, but I'd be willing to bed you could plastic weld the old fitting shut and put a bulkhead fitting back beside it.

Doubt either mechanic is willing to do that - that would be an at home job. Just a thought.

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both my mechanics said it’s a full on gamble and they have a lot go bad
Mechanics are often afraid, because they think they have to grand a guarantee, which is difficult at used parts. A tank is not so complex, to inspect and to decide if the tank is good or not. I would also get a used tank from the junkyard.

A fuel tank is no rocket science...

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mechanics are often afraid, because they think they have to grand a guarantee, which is difficult at used parts. A tank is not so complex, to inspect and to decide if the tank is good or not. I would also get a used tank from the junkyard.

A fuel tank is no rocket science...
Lawyers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bubba6