Why is it so impossible to get a gas tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a *2001* Yukon xl with a 5.3 I just got told I “need” a fuel tank supposedly one of the tank nipples is leaking. they did a smoke test and they refuse to do anything there but replace the tank in its entirety while there are evap fittings on top that are replaceable and the part itself may be mendable if someone went out and made replacement tanks for my particular tank they would make a killing as the only option is sketchy repairs, or junkyard risks.
Will keep this post updated when I drop the tank and start parts cannon and random repairs.

OP
OP
LordWayback

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
“other tanks may be compatible” yeah if it’s a 2001 model year and same motor also has to be not promblematic in itself

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a *2001* Yukon xl with a 5.3 I just got told I “need” a fuel tank supposedly one of the tank nipples is leaking. they did a smoke test and they refuse to do anything there but replace the tank in its entirety while there are evap fittings on top that are replaceable and the part itself may be mendable if someone went out and made replacement tanks for my particular tank they would make a killing as the only option is sketchy repairs, or junkyard risks.
Will keep this post updated when I drop the tank and start parts cannon and random repairs.
junkyard pull is your best bet the chances of one being bad is pretty slim

OP
OP
LordWayback

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's entirely possible they are not lying, and were clever enough to figure out how to ALSO make money ordering brand new gas tanks in addition to profiting off the labor of replacing it.
They are discontinued not a single GM parts dealer within 300 miles (we called all the way from Paso Robles to Palm Springs) and nobody has a brand new tank that’s a GM certified dealer ebay says $500 for a gamble which makes me want to repair this one

OP
OP
LordWayback

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMG_7835.jpeg
From my understanding one of these has failed and if I drop the tank I can cut them out and put a different fitting to seal it up

OP
OP
LordWayback

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to get more details from mechanic number one but they’re just 1/8” hoses so I can put a barb as long as it seals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar