I need to replace the fuel pump in my 2012 Yukon Denali with a Fuel System Control Module. I need to empty the gas tank?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

testdepth

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I need to drop the gas tank it's half full. I want to override the FSCM and pump the gas out using the fuel pump and the fuel rail valve. GMC decided to use a Fuel System Control Module and delete the fuel pump relay and fuse from the box. How do you remove the gas from the tank?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need to drop the gas tank it's half full. I want to override the FSCM and pump the gas out using the fuel pump and the fuel rail valve. GMC decided to use a Fuel System Control Module and delete the fuel pump relay and fuse from the box. How do you remove the gas from the tank?
not quite sure you how you intend to pump fuel out with a bad fuel pump? without dropping the tank.
can you clarify the situation?
if the pump is bad it will not work not matter if there was a relay or not, bad pump is bad pump
generally the tank is dropped with some kind of suppirt under it

OP
OP
T

testdepth

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The pump has not failed yet. I need to drop the tank to blow out the vent line going between the EVAP canister and the tank. This truck is 11yrs old. My thinking is that if I have to drop the tank I may as well replace the pump while I'm there. It's a 26 gallon tank 1/2 full so about 13 gallons at 6lbs per gallon equals nearly 80lbs I'm wrestling with on my back in the driveway. If it had a relay I could bypass it and use the fuel pump to pump the gas out of the fuel rail pressure relief valve. But why make it easy GMC.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The pump has not failed yet. I need to drop the tank to blow out the vent line going between the EVAP canister and the tank. This truck is 11yrs old. My thinking is that if I have to drop the tank I may as well replace the pump while I'm there. It's a 26 gallon tank 1/2 full so about 13 gallons at 6lbs per gallon equals nearly 80lbs I'm wrestling with on my back in the driveway. If it had a relay I could bypass it and use the fuel pump to pump the gas out of the fuel rail pressure relief valve. But why make it easy GMC.
there is a fuel line disconnect on the intake, not sure where else.
i have not tried to do something like this myself, but if you disconnect the line and have some method of catching it like a larger line fitted over it and tied close you could feed the fuel into a gas can with the key on. not sure if you would have to cycle the key or if you could just leave it on run, etc
someone else with more knowledge may chime in

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
As long as you can find a place (or connection) to drain the fuel, this guy shows how to bypass the module and run the pump.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is there a fuel pressure test port on the fuel rail? if so what we do is the better fuel pressure gauge kits have a pressure release button on the gauge with a plastic hose connected to it. so you don't get sprayed while disconnecting it. but if you run the hose to a bucket. zip tie the release button with the truck running it will stay running but also drain the tank for you. when it dies you're as empty as needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17