Water In The Gas Tank?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Marc 2019 RST

Marc 2019 RST

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
In summer, nothing will happen to the engine, and in winter, the water will freeze in the mains. But water is heavier than fuel. And it is always at the bottom, and the fuel intake from the tank comes from the lowest point. Therefore, water goes into the engine first and cannot be collected there in large quantities. But if there is a concern, then you can pour 1 liter of etanol, it will dissolve water in itself. Or a special fuel attachment to remove water
Thx! Wil chk on where to obtain to get rid of the water!
M

OP
OP
Marc 2019 RST

Marc 2019 RST

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
mmmm, not sure how you would end up with water in the tank, but what I would do is verify the float is working properly and that you are not getting so low on fuel that it can't maintain a steady flow. my 03 silverado was notorious for giving me a warning shudder when the fuel got to 1/4 tank or less if I didn't find a gas station in short order I was going to run out even if it still showed a 1/4 tank it was WRONG.
for me changing the pump with a brand new one made no difference it was just the way it was
I ran my 18 silverado out of gas a couple months ago, no warning at all other than "hey dummy low fuel" it just straight up died on the freeway, luckily I actually managed to coast about a 1/4 mile and down a offramp right into a open spot at a gas station. lol couldn't have happened any better.
Thanks for responding....the dealership that sold me the vehicle is now merged with another, and the warranty transferred, so going to give them a shot since it is time for an oil change.

One fine-looking Silverado you have there, Sir! All in great taste - not over-cooked!

Thx!
Marc

OP
OP
Marc 2019 RST

Marc 2019 RST

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for responding....the dealership that sold me the vehicle is now merged with another, and the warranty transferred, so going to give them a shot since it is time for an oil change.

One fine-looking Silverado you have there, Sir! All in great taste - not over-cooked!

Thx!
Marc

OP
OP
Marc 2019 RST

Marc 2019 RST

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Been there. Had a 2003 yukon that the low fuel light came on just below 1/4 tank. About 2 miles later I coasted as far as I could, then luckily had a coworker close by that gave me a lift for gas. I now rarely go below 1/4 tank. (My wife seems to have luck in doing so, to my dismay).

I did try the low fuel on my work truck just to see the accuracy and I'd say it's pretty close to what should be left. When the Ford says 25 miles left, it's pretty accurate and I know I have about 40 miles of range, but no interest in finding out on the side of Hwy 90.

OP
OP
Marc 2019 RST

Marc 2019 RST

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This one seems to very accurate with the gauge. Given that if I fill it up from when the needle hits the very top of the "E" and the cluster panel warns me that the fuel level is low every time I start the truck, I get the right amount of fuel into the tank vs a vis stated capacity. So, cool in the sense that parts seem to be working. Just feels like what a prop engine seems to emit when there is water in the tanks (of course, if I use the darned pre-flight checklist every time, then I would not know this b/c I would not have forgotten to bleed the fuel tanks on the aircraft).
M

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i really doubt theres water in the tank , as mentioned the pickup for the pump sits at the lowest point any water in there would be the first to get sucked up at startup.
the in tank (low side) pump feeds the hi pressure (high side) pump, if something were actually wrong its probably the lowside pump not feed enough fuel to the highside pump, pump could be on its way out, either due to being ran so low on fuel the pump uses fuel in the tank to dissipate heat, hose or pickup could be damaged where it only is a prob with no fuel.
if you have a way of monitoring high and low side pressures when it happens would be the easiest way to troubleshoot

Vladimir2306

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thx! Wil chk on where to obtain to get rid of the water!
You have gas stations with e85 fuel in the USA. This is ethanol 85% and gasoline 15%. Fill in 1 liter of e85 and a full tank of premium gasoline. Ethanol will dissolve water in itself

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC