Why does it shout at me? (Thoughts on the stereo system)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That underhood fuse diagram is for 2003-2006. Close but no cigar. Fuses are different for 2000-2002:

2000-2002 Fuses.JPG

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So here is the amp, radio and the big hole i made in the dash. Still can't find the stinkin amp harness. Would it be coming from the right hand side from behind the glovebox door? both of those harnesses off the amp go into a much larger tape wrapped loom. the 20 amp fuse under the hood is good. i got the fuse diagram off this forum.
The radio and amp harness are integrated into the main harness, there is no separate harness
if you are simply trying to bypass the factory amp then you will need to connect your aftermarket output to the amp outputs and unplug the factory amp.

02LT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
ok so the radio shows 2 plugs but I can't remember how many i disconnected when I took out the OE head unit. I DO NOT want to bypass anything, the rear door speakers aren't working. I initially bought a Metra 70-1858 and the rear door speakers aren't working. I called Metra and they said I need a 70-1859 cuz we have 7 speakers. I sent Metra a pic of the OE head unit and they said i have a second plug for the amp. The 70.1859 has two plugs (the main plug is the same as the 1858 but has a second plug) and one plug has a single red wire on it for the amp. I plugged the OE unit back in using the single OE harness and the rear door speakers don't work either. Thank you for the updated fuse diagram, just pulled that fuse (25 amp) and it looks good. I swapped it with the other 25 amp fuse for the wipers.)
Are we absolutely sure there is only a single harness for this OE head unit?
I called my local dealer and the parts guys confirmed it has the enhanced audio but i did not ask how many harnesses it used.
Could I have a bad amp? What else would cause the rear door speakers not to work. i thought I may have screwed up the Pioneer harness adapter but the OE radio has no rear door speakers as well......
?hash=56ca516f3881b424654a13ad4280c6ee.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-4673.jpg
    IMG-4673.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 1
OP
OP
L

LM7Tahoe01

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Original Poster here coming back to the original topic… my truck definitely sounds better with the factory amp bypassed, but there’s still a definite peak in the upper midrange. It’s still a bit shouty. I’m thinking it’s got to be the cheapo speakers. I’ve played around with the eq settings a bunch but I just can’t tame it… Does anyone have any suggestions for some budget minded door speakers that actually sound decent?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Original Poster here coming back to the original topic… my truck definitely sounds better with the factory amp bypassed, but there’s still a definite peak in the upper midrange. It’s still a bit shouty. I’m thinking it’s got to be the cheapo speakers. I’ve played around with the eq settings a bunch but I just can’t tame it… Does anyone have any suggestions for some budget minded door speakers that actually sound decent?
well not sure what your budget is but the infinity Kappa series are a pretty good choice, prices vary...... depending
I would shop ebay, amazon, sonic electronics.
beware of buying them with too good to be true prices on some websites, word to the wise, stick with a known dealer/retailer

02LT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What would you say is the easiest way to test the rear door speakers? Does anyone know what wires are the rear speakers coming out of the amp? What about the door harness? Is there a way of accessing the wires there? If the amp is bad how do you diagnose that?
THnx
IMG-4672.jpgIMG_4731.jpg

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What would you say is the easiest way to test the rear door speakers? Does anyone know what wires are the rear speakers coming out of the amp? What about the door harness? Is there a way of accessing the wires there? If the amp is bad how do you diagnose that?
THnx
View attachment 395313View attachment 395315
you will have to find the wiring diagram for it, one of those harness plugs is the input and other is the output
should be here

OP
OP
L

LM7Tahoe01

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I feel like this is going to get confusing. I am pretty sure my issue is poor quality speakers, I don’t think I need further assistance with that, I just have to find better speakers that fit my budget.

Let’s just focus on the new guy’s rear speaker issue now…

I would start at the rear speakers. Pull one and unplug it. Get any old speaker and see if you can jam its wires into the plug and see if it plays. If it does then the door speakers themselves are bad. If it doesn’t play further diagnosis is required…

02LT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks a lot, that pdf is great. I was told by Metra to use a 9v battery on the speaker wires (no polarity involved) to see if the speakers make a noise. Where can a replacement OE amp be sourced? Is there a cheap alternative that is plug and play or would i need more Metra harness adapters?

OP
OP
L

LM7Tahoe01

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The 9v battery trick works too, but don’t hold the wires on, just tap them…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tomcoop