Why can't GM offer engines like all the other manufacturers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave01

Reaction score
The diesel in the Grand Cherokee is awesome from all accounts I've read, but it isn't offered in the Durango yet. I do think GM is behind the times in not offering a diesel in large SUV's and 1/2 ton trucks.

As a new owner of my 2010, first vehicle I've had with the 5.3, so far I'm impressed. Maybe I'm just getting older but not sure what people want/expect from these engines. It's smooth as silk, quiet in stock setup. I've only towed 4,500 lbs. so far but it tows great, really impressed with the tow/haul mode. When I've stepped on it I've been surprised with the acceleration, better than I expected.

Yes, I wish it shifted better, and yes, I worry a bit about the AFM system and oiling problems. But, nice engine, decent mileage, and very smooth to drive.

Khao5

Reaction score
We recently had a customer who traded in a brand new (like 2-3 month old) VW Touareg diesel that he paid probably $60k+ for.
Couldn't tow his travel trailer worth a damn. We got him into a 2500HD duramax that he's been very happy with. We got him as much money as we could for the VW but he still took a big $$ hit.
Just because something has the tow rating doesn't mean it's the right tool for the job (or even safe).
Now we're starting to get reports of eco-boost owners getting single digit fuel economy numbers when trying to tow anything more than an port-a-potty.
Hopefully they will get something like that 4.5L duramax back on the fire for the half tons (and possibly SUVs).

i couldnt agree more , touaregs arent really meant to tow(v10 tdi one does have gobs of tq though ) . if you want to tow get something appropriate to tow with .

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Torage transmission can't handle towing nor can the rear end. Same goes for the Porsche Cayhan. Not geared or built correctly. Just bc. They have torque and hp doesn't mean it can tow. Example a Lamborghini has gobs of power but should it have a trailer hitch. No also the center exhaust is in the way. But you get my point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz