Whose Lifted Suburban and Jayco Trailer Is That?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've towed trailers of all sizes and weights over the years, a lot of times at freeway speeds or above, but towing a camper gave me white knuckles for sure. It's equivalent to towing a sail on wheels. I hated every minute of it, especially when a semi or box truck passed me. There isn't enough weight to counteract the floating it wants to do. I now have a new respect for camper trailer haulers.

And yes, the lifted suburban probably transferred too much weight to the rear axles and wagged that tail hard........just like my dog after I haven't seen her all day :)

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never understood the urge to lift/level a truck and mess with the factory geometries. I'm talking about the guys who just do it for the look, not the guys who do it to their farm truck or rock crawler because they need extra ground clearance. It's a free country. Whatever, to each his own.

But lifting a tow rig? Not smart, IMHO. Best case - stuff wears out prematurely and breaks faster. Worst case - that video.

I went through three tow vehicles and four trailers before I found a great, stable combination. The lightweight/half-ton towable trailers are downright scary in windy conditions. I once bent the 1/2-inch thick steel plate that my sway ball was mounted on, because I had my sway brake cranked so hard due to crosswinds.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never understood the urge to lift/level a truck and mess with the factory geometries. I'm talking about the guys who just do it for the look, not the guys who do it to their farm truck or rock crawler because they need extra ground clearance. It's a free country. Whatever, to each his own.

But lifting a tow rig? Not smart, IMHO. Best case - stuff wears out prematurely and breaks faster. Worst case - that video.

I went through three tow vehicles and four trailers before I found a great, stable combination. The lightweight/half-ton towable trailers are downright scary in windy conditions. I once bent the 1/2-inch thick steel plate that my sway ball was mounted on, because I had my sway brake cranked so hard due to crosswinds.
I'm with you broseph. 100% agree

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Not doubting your experience at all. All I can say is that towing with our Yukon XL Denali is like the trailer is welded to the truck. Very stable in crosswinds and when passing trucks. Recurve R3 WDH, XL rated tires on the Yukon.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
There used to be a sense of pride and comradely in the camping / towing community where emergency flashers, signaling and headlight flashes meant something. Camping families would pull over to help broken down campers.

With impulse RV buying and tow vehicles set up for status vs purpose, you’re right, carnage awaits. I see all kinds of drivers pulling their rigs 4 lanes over in the fast lane and another just like that fubar rig being pulled in the carpool lane by Disneyland.

If the nonsense continues at this pace it’ll bring back the old annual safety inspections like Cali used to have for lights, brakes and drivetrain the UK currently has for MOT.

717F1614-749F-4CB5-9C1E-C1B879CEA6F5.jpeg

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There used to be a sense of pride and comradely in the camping / towing community where emergency flashers, signaling and headlight flashes meant something. Camping families would pull over to help broken down campers.

With impulse RV buying and tow vehicles set up for status vs purpose, you’re right, carnage awaits. I see all kinds of drivers pulling their rigs 4 lanes over in the fast lane and another just like that fubar rig being pulled in the carpool lane by Disneyland.

If the nonsense continues at this pace it’ll bring back the old annual safety inspections like Cali used to have for lights, brakes and drivetrain the UK currently has for MOT.

View attachment 408722
We still have those in Virginia for both tow vehicles and trailers. Sucks. And they never flag the actual dangers like off-brand, Chinese-made trailer tires that won't last 2 years without going boom.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
I still remember this one guy on the freeway.
Bumper pull camper with a bumper pull boat.

Illegal as shit, and it didn't look very stable... lol

bobsburban

Reaction score
I'm curious about whether the 'Burb rolled or not. If it did, that's a strong passenger/cargo area. We rolled an International Travelall and a 30 ft Holiday Rambler trailer back in 1971 on the way to a summer in Boston. Some dude who'd driven all night fell asleep at the wheel, hit the rear of the trailer and sheared the ball off the hitch to start our family's chain of events. The Travelall rolled two or three times before coming to a stop on the side of I-81. My sister suffered the only injury - the dog crate left a gash on her right foot. Everyone was okay other than that, including the dog.

Looking at the inside of the trailer (it rolled onto its side as the one in the video did) was enough to convince me I wanted no part of a motorhome if something like that were to happen - refrigerator, stove top, oven all flew all over that trailer.

But it would be comforting to know if that 'Burb barrel rolled or not, as it appears to have held up okay if it did. Seatbelts worn properly will do the rest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nyc2011Denali