Who paid Onstar or is it worth it Or 4g service Is it worth it.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JMTexasGuy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I love OnStar! I actually use it pretty regularly. The unlimited data plan is great, because I often use my laptop, stream audio, and/or play Netflix on the Roku in the back for the kids! I could use my iPhone's hotspot, but I've found that on average the built-in OnStar 4G is nearly twice as fast as my hotspot! It also keeps data usage down on my phone, which prevents me from using all my phone's "unlimited" data and being forced to deal with slower speeds in congested areas! Plus my iPhone is verizon, so when I'm in a poor coverage area, WiFi calling using at&t typically works great.

As for the other features, I've been saved from changing a flat 3 separate times, because the OnStar app notified me that my tire pressure was low. I wouldn't have noticed until the next morning when it was completely flat, but with OnStar, I've been able to just add extra air until proper tire repairs could be done.

The dedicated phone is also an excellent emergency tool. I've had my phone die and/or quit working several times, so having the ability to make a call was very helpful! I always keep 20 minutes or more available on it just in case...plus it's a satellite phone if i'm not mistaken, so it works even in the most remote areas IMO.

YukonSLE2017

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have my 2017 Yukon connected to my AT&T account and use the WiFi hotspot. Works great and uses my data plan that is through my family cell phone account.

Question is: can I get rid of onstar and keep the WiFi working or is it an all or nothing deal. Don’t use my onstar for anything else.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
YukonSLE2017, You can buy different packages so I would push the blue button and ask Onstar about the WiFi.

acainindy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was wondering who gotten any of the onstar plans to know. So many plans onstAr I was wondering if anyone has any or the apps. New to this wanna know your thoughts . As we get older we think different when we have family is it worth cause they seem expensive and priced out in different pieces. Seem like buying a box of pizza and being charged per slice in the box instead whole thing ..feel they break it up to see spend more On packages when it all should be one for one low price does anyone ever sign up for this is it worth it

I use the 4G in my car everyday... I paid the $20 per month unlimited. I drive for Uber and it comes in handy.

WTSHARK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had Onstar coverage on my 15 Yukon XL since the 6 months free intro expired. I don't use the data plan, haven't needed it yet and my phone has a hotspot. That's not to say at some point, I won't have it "turned on" if I need it (which is one of the advantages to having an active plan). I've had the "Navigation/Security" plan, which includes downloaded driving directions, (which I've used quite a bit with the app) and instant Onstar access. As previously mentioned, I get the 30 minutes calling per month added (I've never needed it, but I like the option if there's no cell coverage and I DO need the phone and the truck has it's own phone number). I think it's 359.00 p/year, and I pay it all at once when it expires (I call them and renew every Feb).
The app itself is great, it's got a lot of little perks (downloadable coupons, specials based on where you are, etc) and the active start/stop, unlock, etc features are nice. The navigation is great, I can search using the app, download the directions to the Yukon, and roll. It will tell you your gas mileage, oil life %, service reminders, tire pressure, etc.
I can also call Onstar directly for downloaded directions, or phone numbers while driving. I've done that a few times. While traveling earlier this year, the wife and I were out of town on business. I'd booked a hotel and when we arrived, realized there was nothing around it. We were hungry, and I hit my blue Onstar button and asked the tech where we could go for food. He instantly downloaded a map with local restaraunts, hamburger joints, etc to the truck and we had directions to them as well as to the hotel. I suppose it comes down how much you think you'll use it, and what it's worth to you. I like all the features, and don't mind the yearly cost. My Yukon's package did not include stand alone navigation, so having the Onstar option has been well worth it.

tboyes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you currently have service for your existing cell phones with a shared data plan, you can add your vehicle for an additional $10 a month. That way all your apps on the infotainment system work and you can stream movies to a chromecast if you want . That's what I do.

tboyes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you currently have service for your existing cell phones with a shared data plan, you can add your vehicle for an additional $10 a month. That way all your apps on the infotainment system work and you can stream movies to a chromecast if you want . That's what I do.
Through AT&T that is

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. That exactly how I have it connected now.

My real question though is can I drop onstar but keep the WiFi hotspot through ATT (without having to use my cell phone)?
Not sure since you manage the vehicle ssid and password with onstar online.

tboyes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks. That exactly how I have it connected now.

My real question though is can I drop onstar but keep the WiFi hotspot through ATT (without having to use my cell phone)?

Yes. Your phone app wont allow you to start remotely, unlock your car remotely, and locate your vehicle though. That wasn't worth $15 to me. You can still use the app to do most other stuff including saving your location and finding your car later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh