Who paid Onstar or is it worth it Or 4g service Is it worth it.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jorge1313

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was wondering who gotten any of the onstar plans to know. So many plans onstAr I was wondering if anyone has any or the apps. New to this wanna know your thoughts . As we get older we think different when we have family is it worth cause they seem expensive and priced out in different pieces. Seem like buying a box of pizza and being charged per slice in the box instead whole thing ..feel they break it up to see spend more On packages when it all should be one for one low price does anyone ever sign up for this is it worth it

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck is the older version and we have Onstar for it. Been an Onstar customer since 2006. I like the truck having its own phone number. If mine was a year newer they would give me more access to the app but it is of not much use to me other than locating where it's parked. We have the basic plan and almost always have.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Had our 08 Denali XL AWD since 14. 2nd owner @ 96k. Had to take a road trip 2 mo ago and called OnStar & XM to see if they’d provide us w/ new owner freebie package like we got when purchasing our 06 new.

Pressed the OnStar button and the Rep rolled out 90 days of the Prem OnStar package w/ a turn by turn feature that downloads directions verbally through the OnStar and scrolls written directions across the DIC in the cluster. You have to call & provide a live rep w/ the destination each time however, it does allow you to input directions on the fly that’s safer and heads up. Our fact Nav locks us out of nav entry unless stopped.

It’s a feature I’d definitely pay for if we traveled out of our known area more. It also has usual lock out and roadservice features. I asked because they did not offer to get a complimentary phone number and 60 min air time & that was given too. I used my Visa card issued as a rebate on GM parts that had all its $20 value depleted as the for of payment.

When using the info from any of these reward/rebate type Visa cards from any company, they bypass having to use one of your own live credit cards. The promo period will end on the XM & OnStar after 60 days and I won’t have to call to cancel it or worry I’ll be charged.

XM radio forgets to turn off free subscriptions and I’m willing to help them facilitate that with a credit card that’s valid and not associated to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LT1ZOB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cost of large or unlimited carrier data plans have fallen drastically in the recent years, making onstar services useless to me and my needs. Just my opinion of course. If I had teenagers, I suppose their driving score apps would be of interest.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
4g Service isn’t worth the monthly cost if:
You have a smartphone data plan that includes hotspot AND you will always be in an area with good coverage.

I was in a rural area this summer with poor coverage for my iPhone, but the Tahoe connected fine (same carrier) and I was able to access the interweb as needed.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
i was wondering who gotten any of the onstar plans to know. So many plans onstAr I was wondering if anyone has any or the apps. New to this wanna know your thoughts . As we get older we think different when we have family is it worth cause they seem expensive and priced out in different pieces. Seem like buying a box of pizza and being charged per slice in the box instead whole thing ..feel they break it up to see spend more On packages when it all should be one for one low price does anyone ever sign up for this is it worth it
I use the free version and the app. Works fine.

OP
OP
Jorge1313

Jorge1313

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cost of large or unlimited carrier data plans have fallen drastically in the recent years, making onstar services useless to me and my needs. Just my opinion of course. If I had teenagers, I suppose their driving score apps would be of interest.

That was what I thought there pricing is high and with data plans have fallen completely drastically in prices it’s not nessary at all with smart phone and tAblets

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was what I thought there pricing is high and with data plans have fallen completely drastically in prices it’s not nessary at all with smart phone and tAblets

Where will your phone be in an accident or while its sinking after having driven off the road? Your other points and those made by others are valid though.

How's your gas mileage now?

W M S

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2013 GMC with the basic plan.

I like knowing OnStar can locate and disable the vehicle if it is ever stolen.

The lock-out feature is good to have (haven't needed it or locate/shut-down either, thanks to goodness).

LT1ZOB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Valid pro onstar points, however, and some of you may laugh, but one of my winter projects, while the car is stored, is removing the onstar box out of my vette. I don’t need them or my insurance (which I know onstar does not report to the insurance company) but don’t want my track use to be recorded. Got a “are you ok” a couple years back in my Camaro when tires were cold and I spun out on the track. Luckily, no guardrails, just a nice lawn-job for the track crews.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Willis12345