Which power steering fluid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay I did it. Used my Girots fluid extractor device. Worked great. I sucked out and refilled 3 times. After each fill I pumped the brakes and rotated the steering wheel from lock to lock maybe about 15 times. I had the car jacked up in the front. On the second to the last fill I drove around the block. The new fluid is clear and the old was dark brown. After all that I can look down through the fluid with a light and it looks pretty clear. So I think it is flushed good enough for let's say the next 40k miles or 3 years. The wheel feels smooth and the steering is quiet so I guess all is well for now.
Here is a link to the Girot's device I used. https://www.griotsgarage.com/multi-fluid-extractor/

I love my extractor. :)

OP
OP

2006Tahoe2WD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@tom, thanks for that link. I'm glad Lubeguard is listed as a good alternative. I'm taking the Tahoe for a drive today. Next project is brake fluid replace.

Reaction score
Recommend using DOT 4 for your brake flush.
My owners manual says DOT 3

Changing out the brake fluid is easy with a pressure bleeder like the Motive. Just add fluid, hook it up to master cylinder and pressurize it, then go around to each wheel bleeder screw and drain till clear/clean fluid comes out.

Motive Products - 0108 Brake System Power Bleeder for Most Late Model GM Cars and Trucks https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000TK9FE8/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_CYJWS0HC0P7JTTGKBBXV

Last edited:
OP
OP

2006Tahoe2WD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, DOT 4 is the plan.
My owners manual says DOT 3

Changing out the brake fluid is easy with a pressure bleeder like the Motive. Just add fluid, hook it up to master cylinder and pressurize it, then go around to each wheel bleeder screw and drain till clear/clean fluid comes out.

Motive Products - 0108 Brake System Power Bleeder for Most Late Model GM Cars and Trucks https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000TK9FE8/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_CYJWS0HC0P7JTTGKBBXV
I also have a Motive. I use just the air pressure feature and don't fill the bottle. I can also try the Extractor. I don't remember chasing down the DOT 3 vs DOT 4 story. I think DOT 4 will be okay - I know not to use DOT 5.

OP
OP

2006Tahoe2WD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I Google it... :) It looks like DOT 3 doesn't absorb water as fast but has a lower boiling point. So maybe DOT 3 is better in the case where you are not tracking the vehicle. :)

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always thought dot4 (synthetic) fluid was not to be used in anti-lock brake systems?

OP
OP

2006Tahoe2WD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never heard that. If I understand what I'm reading correctly. If you are not changing the fluid often then use DOT 3. If you are towing and getting the brakes hot then use DOT 4 and change the fluid a bit more often. All brake fluid is synthetic. DOT 5 is silicone based and is not compatible with DOT 3 or 4.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
DOT 4 is backward compatible with DOT 3. You can use either one, or both. However, if you've flushed to DOT 4, then stick with DOT 4. I would venture to say that any brake fluid marked "DOT 3 / DOT 4" is probably DOT 4 for the same reasons.