Which power steering fluid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2006Tahoe2WD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This should be easy.... I was going to order power steering fluid on Amazon and it indicated AC Delco PS fluid is not compatible with my 2006 Tahoe. That's what I've used before. I started looking around e.g. RockAuto lists only Prestone. However that is listed as sold out. Of course many people say online using ATF is okay. Oreilly suggests Lubeguard synthetic is the best. They have a good description on why not to use ATF. So anyway this is all a bit confusing. I just want the best thing in there given all the trouble to flush it a bunch of times. Thanks for info. or suggestions on where to look for the best recommendation. -Henry

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Valvoline, Prestone or NAPA power steering fluids would all be fine by me. I would tend to go local store anyway.

NAPA is my go-to for most stuff. That's where my trusted mechanic would get stuff for any work done for me... So I would probably order their brand for my make/model/year online and pick up 30 minutes later.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of course O'Reilly's recommends that one... By the quart, it is the highest price and probably highest profit margin.

Don't get me wrong! I am not saying Lubeguard is not a high quality product or suggesting @gooffeyguy's recommendation is not a good one...

Valvoline Max Life PS fluid has a flashpoint of 390F. Lubeguard is 480F. Close enough for me IMHO. If mine were to push beyond the flashpoint limits of the Valvoline, I think I might be in for other problems.

Besides... A 2 quart jug of Valvoline Max Life for $9.99 vs. $15.99 for 1 qt. of Lubeguard? Wouldn't be my personal choice. I don't always cheap-out when it comes to parts or maintenance. I just feel that going middle of the road or premium makes more sense than going for ultra-premium on a cost vs. benefit basis. Something that high-end just seems like overkill to me for an old-school Chevy, but to each his own.

There is no wrong decision. It is your preference and your money.

Cheers!

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you still have owner's manual in glove box in maintenance area there will what type of fluid to use. If installing new pump and all new fluid will be used, I would use what pump replacement vendor says.

Reaction score
Valvoline Maxlife would be fine also, but not full synthetic, so you can't compare its price to a full synthetic.

My owners manual says GM power steering fluid, part # 89021184

That part # has been replaced by a different one.

Here's an article with some info

I figure, if you plan on replacing the power steering fluid regularly, like once every couple years, then the cheaper stuff is beneficial. If you only change it every 100k miles then the higher priced full synthetic is the way to go

Last edited:
OP
OP

2006Tahoe2WD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up getting 2 bottles of the Lubeguard. The plan for today is to get out my suction device and start "flushing" the system. If I recall that means sucking out of the power steering res. and refilling a few times with some driving in between. I expect this to go smoothly but I'll post here if anything interesting comes up.

OP
OP

2006Tahoe2WD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay I did it. Used my Girots fluid extractor device. Worked great. I sucked out and refilled 3 times. After each fill I pumped the brakes and rotated the steering wheel from lock to lock maybe about 15 times. I had the car jacked up in the front. On the second to the last fill I drove around the block. The new fluid is clear and the old was dark brown. After all that I can look down through the fluid with a light and it looks pretty clear. So I think it is flushed good enough for let's say the next 40k miles or 3 years. The wheel feels smooth and the steering is quiet so I guess all is well for now.
Here is a link to the Girot's device I used. https://www.griotsgarage.com/multi-fluid-extractor/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nasser Ali