Sloppy steering after steering gear rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blackie

Reaction score
A couple months ago I rebuilt my power steering gear on my 2004 Yukon because it was leaking PS fluid. Since I was there I replaced the pitman arm, idler arm, tie rods, and sway bar end links. It turned out to be the C clip was broken in the PS gear. I drove the truck for roughly 250 miles before getting it aligned (tires scrubbed a bit but don't look too bad). The problem I am having is the truck wants to drive everywhere but straight. The best description is the steering feels very "floaty". Before the rebuild the truck would drive straight with no issues. Now it seems it is constantly trying to veer left or right and I am constantly having to correct the steering. I know this may all sound vague but anyone else experience this problem or can give me some direction on what to look at? I've been to the alignment shop twice and they say the truck is in perfect alignment. The tires only have a total of 2500 miles.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A couple months ago I rebuilt my power steering gear on my 2004 Yukon because it was leaking PS fluid. Since I was there I replaced the pitman arm, idler arm, tie rods, and sway bar end links. It turned out to be the C clip was broken in the PS gear. I drove the truck for roughly 250 miles before getting it aligned (tires scrubbed a bit but don't look too bad). The problem I am having is the truck wants to drive everywhere but straight. The best description is the steering feels very "floaty". Before the rebuild the truck would drive straight with no issues. Now it seems it is constantly trying to veer left or right and I am constantly having to correct the steering. I know this may all sound vague but anyone else experience this problem or can give me some direction on what to look at? I've been to the alignment shop twice and they say the truck is in perfect alignment. The tires only have a total of 2500 miles.
I’d go to a different alignment shop and have them double check.

Did the alignment shop you used provide you with a before/after print out showing where things were/are compared to spec for your vehicle? If not, I’d be suspect.

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
Could be your gear box is way to loose simple to tighten it and
Check the orientation of your steering linkage; the bar that your tie rods thread into, and your pitman arm and idler arm connect to that same bar. Each end should be angled DOWN and to the REAR of the truck.

I did the same repair a couple years ago and missed that; which, ya know... my bad. Should've paid more attention when I disassembled. But I had it aligned 5 times at 3 different shops; none of them noticed, and it was within spec. But it was wandering all over the damn road.

Tried to install a steering stabilizer kit one night that was supposed to be a bolt-on, and was getting all kinds of interference when I turned the wheel, and then it hit me... "I've got this F-ing thing backward!"
take out the slack will surely make it not wander like it is. This was from dans otter but its what im talking about to check also.If when you jack up front end their is no slop back and forth in the front end.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ditto on the center link orientation:

THarber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to set the preload.

On top of the gear there will be an alen head bolt with lock nut. Loosen the nut while holding the allen bolt in place. Tighten 1/4 of a turn than lock the nu back down. Continue until the issue is fixed but be careful as too much will cause it not to go back to center while turning.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be your gear box is way to loose simple to tighten it and
Check the orientation of your steering linkage; the bar that your tie rods thread into, and your pitman arm and idler arm connect to that same bar. Each end should be angled DOWN and to the REAR of the truck.

I did the same repair a couple years ago and missed that; which, ya know... my bad. Should've paid more attention when I disassembled. But I had it aligned 5 times at 3 different shops; none of them noticed, and it was within spec. But it was wandering all over the damn road.

Tried to install a steering stabilizer kit one night that was supposed to be a bolt-on, and was getting all kinds of interference when I turned the wheel, and then it hit me... "I've got this F-ing thing backward!"
take out the slack will surely make it not wander like it is. This was from dans otter but its what im talking about to check also.If when you jack up front end their is no slop back and forth in the front end.
Firestone did that to me when they replaced my pitman arm and tie rods. Took me 4 years and countless shops looking at it and many sets of front tires until I comprehended @SnowDrifter post about it. It was so bad, I couldn't pull into my garage without doing a 3 point turn. Once I flipped it around to proper orientation, it was like a new truck. Can pull right into the garage now.

OP
OP
Blackie

Blackie

Reaction score
Thank you all for the input. I'll hopefully have time to get under the truck tomorrow and get it fixed.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Preload is a much easier fix. I ended up taking mine somewhere with a lift when I couldn't get enough leverage to break the idler and pitman loose. Didn't want to damage them as they were fairly new. And I mashed my hand just trying to break the nuts loose. Ha.

Glad it's driving well now!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DLM_GT