Which is the better front control arm?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Millennium Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which is better: Mevotech CTX series or Moog CK series? Or, is there something better? I'm not altering the suspension from stock, and I'm running OEM 20" wheels. I plan on doing upper and lower as well as the tie rods. Thanks.

ETA: I might as well get suggestions for the tie rods, also. Thanks, again.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Having ran shops over the years I have used literally a "shit pot" full of Moog components with great results. I like 'em and even like the AC Delco parts as well. I have no experience with Mevotech so I have no opinion. I have also used Dana Spicer suspension and steering components with good luck.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which is better: Mevotech CTX series or Moog CK series? Or, is there something better? I'm not altering the suspension from stock, and I'm running OEM 20" wheels. I plan on doing upper and lower as well as the tie rods. Thanks.

ETA: I might as well get suggestions for the tie rods, also. Thanks, again.

I've been looking and comparing as it is about that time for mine too. @iamdub Chris noticed that Moog Problem Solver came in ACDelco packaging last year when he made an order. I suspect the difference in quality is not so much with the arm but with the ball joint. GM OE ball joints are more expensive and look different than ACDelco ball joints. The GM OE control arms are usually more than ACDelco or Moog.

This info is about 2 weeks old and might help:

upload_2019-12-19_16-31-57.png

Can't find the sheet with Moog on it.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
moog or acdelco for all oem suspension parts unless its a wheel bearing then i go timken. ive used mevotech before and it did its job but just seemed cheaper than what ive dealt with from moog and such. wasnt my vehicle and it was a while ago so all i can remember was mentioning to myself that the quality seemed below moog.

OP
OP
Millennium Falcon

Millennium Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies, guys! I was leaning toward Moog or Delco until I saw the Mevotech on RockAuto's site and became curious about them. I haven't really found much info about them online. Moog was my preference over Delco because they come with zerk fittings.

The castings all seem very similar, and I wonder if they might come from the same foundry. I figured the biggest differences between them would primarily be the ball joints and then the quality of the rubber bushings to a lesser degree.

I just want control arms with the best quality ball joints I can find.
Thanks, again.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i cant say anything about thier control arms but thier wheel bearings definitely dont. bunch of years back when money was tight i kept my vehicles rolling with cheaper parts. moog wheel bearings didnt last any longer than the cheap junk from the parts stores or rock auto. 97 malibu and an 04 chevy Venture got to deal with that first hand.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
moog or acdelco for all oem suspension parts unless its a wheel bearing then i go timken.

Which, Timken made and supplied GM the original hub/bearings that came on these rigs.

Thanks for all the replies, guys! I was leaning toward Moog or Delco until I saw the Mevotech on RockAuto's site and became curious about them. I haven't really found much info about them online. Moog was my preference over Delco because they come with zerk fittings.

The castings all seem very similar, and I wonder if they might come from the same foundry. I figured the biggest differences between them would primarily be the ball joints and then the quality of the rubber bushings to a lesser degree.

I just want control arms with the best quality ball joints I can find.
Thanks, again.

You're already on the right track going with Moog CK over their RK series. IMO, the best bet would be ACDelco Original. This is what came on it from the factory and should pretty much be guaranteed to be good for 100K miles easily unless it'll be subjected to harsh conditions. ACD Professional would be my second choice and it's what I got for mine. I'd avoid ACD Advantage just like any other cheap house brand. What I found in both my personal experience and other's I read about online is that the Moog supplies the arm for the ACD Professional line with it's CK series parts. ACD Pro is designed to be a quality aftermarket substitute to the Original and, in some cases, is modified from the original design to improve it- hence the "Problem Solver" distinguishment. The Moog RK line is designed to just be a low-cost alternative to compete with the other aftermarket budget brands. I don't know if there was an actual problem to be solved with the ACDelco Original arms. But, with the ACDelco Professional/Moog CK version, the ball joint is greasable. To some, this is a pro; to others, a con.

OP
OP
Millennium Falcon

Millennium Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My parents have a '12 Yukon XL with 99k miles on it, and it needs lower ball joints (probably has for at least 4k-5k miles) more than likely due to our dirt road which can be rough at times. I do what I can with it, but my 65 year old TO-30 just doesn't have enough lead in its pencil anymore. I'm pretty sure the Falcon needs some front end work, as well. I was hoping someone would have developed control arms with ball joints that would last longer, by now. I guess I could go ahead and do the Falcon's front end now and save the control arms to rebuild later.

How does the Moog CK series Problem Solver ball joint compare to the Delco OEM ball joint? Nearly as good, as good as, or better? I prefer to be able to grease the joints periodically.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne