Where do you get your oil changed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drmoose

Reaction score
Just curious where people are getting the diesel oil changed? I’ve used the dealer 2x now, which is atypical for me (usually 30-50% more for standard oil changes there). But with the diesel, I feel like I’d rather use the dealer. I called Goodyear and Firestone. Goodyear had no idea “we’ve never done one”, and Firestone said $200, which is $40+ higher than the dealer. I’m not interested in a DIY for the diesel. It is a small benefit to have the maintenance records in the GM system.

tungsten

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I had a newer one like you dealer for sure.Even though you'll get the new guy doing it.
I once had a drive thru place wipe all the grease squeeze out on the inner wheel.Caught him and raised a stink.Another time sheared off a bolt changing rear end fluid.That one was free.
So diy for me.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If DIY is not an option in your book, then I wouldn’t go anywhere but the dealer. Any other quick lube is going to fill it with the wrong oil - guaranteed.

If you have the driveway/garage space to do it, it’s $60 for 7qts of Dexos-D oil and a Delco filter from Rock Auto… take pictures of your receipts if you’re worried about having a record.

OP
OP
D

drmoose

Reaction score
If DIY is not an option in your book, then I wouldn’t go anywhere but the dealer. Any other quick lube is going to fill it with the wrong oil - guaranteed.

If you have the driveway/garage space to do it, it’s $60 for 7qts of Dexos-D oil and a Delco filter from Rock Auto… take pictures of your receipts if you’re worried about having a record.
yeah maybe DIY in the future, but for now, not gonna do it. Thanks for the input, I feel like the dealer is the best option right now. I'd consider an experienced garage, but I don't think it'd be any cheaper. Thanks!

Larsonxjs

Reaction score
Dealership for me. I did the prepay 7 oil changes when I bought the vehicle. Little savings or maybe hedged a little price increase in the future.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A local and trusted auto repair shop would be cheaper than the dealership, IMO. The same place where I get my annual inspections.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealerships can be pretty competitive these days when it comes to maintenance and repairs. On the plus side you get professional ASE mechanics working on your truck and not unskilled labor.

Last time I was at the dealer getting tires, there were quite a few Duramax's in the bays getting their oil changed.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing to consider is if it is still under warranty, I’d have it done at the dealer as my first choice and independent shop as my second. Even if you keep meticulous records when you change it at home. I say this because if you have any issues with your vehicle while under warranty, it will be much harder for GM to say you didn’t properly maintain your vehicle if it was handled by a dealer. Even with independent qualified shops, I’ve seen GM give people a bunch of static by claiming it wasn’t properly maintained and therefore not covered under warranty, even if the independent guy is many times more competent than the guy at the dealer.

Jellyfrosh

Reaction score
Dealer. Saving 50 bucks isn't worth a declined warranty claim and frankly I wouldn't trust a 500 dollar beater car to a quick lube place let alone a brand new vehicle that requires very specific oil.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where we live there’s a locally owned, family oil change shop that does great work. Always the same 2 guys doing the oil changes and they both have years of experience doing it and always ask me what oil I want from the options they have. They’re a Pennzoil shop but have Amsoil if I want it. That’s the kind of place I’d be looking for if I didn’t want to use the dealer.

When I owned a BMW diesel, the dealer would use the wrong oil every time if I didn’t keep after them. Diesels were too much of a unicorn for them to even notice what they were working on. I started using a local place in Colorado when I lived there and they did a good job too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mimi66972