Where do you get your oil changed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZKWBQD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious where people are getting the diesel oil changed? I’ve used the dealer 2x now, which is atypical for me (usually 30-50% more for standard oil changes there). But with the diesel, I feel like I’d rather use the dealer. I called Goodyear and Firestone. Goodyear had no idea “we’ve never done one”, and Firestone said $200, which is $40+ higher than the dealer. I’m not interested in a DIY for the diesel. It is a small benefit to have the maintenance records in the GM system.
If your vehicle is still under warranty, ONLY change the oil at the dealer. General Motors will look for any excuse not to honor a warranty should you have a problem with your engine. Modern engines are extremely complex in order to squeeze out a little bit more gas mileage. The modern engine, is not designed for long life, they are designed for maximum gas mileage and to limp across the warranty period.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your vehicle is still under warranty, ONLY change the oil at the dealer. General Motors will look for any excuse not to honor a warranty should you have a problem with your engine. Modern engines are extremely complex in order to squeeze out a little bit more gas mileage. The modern engine, is not designed for long life, they are designed for maximum gas mileage and to limp across the warranty period.
What are you talking about? This is blatant misinformation....sheesh.

Jellyfrosh

Reaction score
I didn't know Scotty Kilmer was on this forum.

Rizop

Reaction score
One thing to consider is if it is still under warranty, I’d have it done at the dealer as my first choice and independent shop as my second. Even if you keep meticulous records when you change it at home. I say this because if you have any issues with your vehicle while under warranty, it will be much harder for GM to say you didn’t properly maintain your vehicle if it was handled by a dealer. Even with independent qualified shops, I’ve seen GM give people a bunch of static by claiming it wasn’t properly maintained and therefore not covered under warranty, even if the independent guy is many times more competent than the guy at the dealer.
Yikes . I usually change the oil myself as it’s really easy to do on this truck and the main factor for me is that my work schedule is always super packed so I do it myself when I have a spare hour of time instead of having to wait a couple of hours for an oil change (I previously had a few Lexus vehicles and their complimentary loaners really came in handy in that regard especially with the demanding work schedule )

If I do change it myself , what’s a good recommended strategy to keep a log of self-performed maintenance ? I have all the receipts of the supplies (oil and oil filter ) . Should I go as far as to take pictures while I’m performing the process ? Thanks !

Last edited:

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yikes . I usually change the oil myself as it’s really easy to do on this truck and the main factor for me is that my work schedule is always super packed so I do it myself instead of having to wait a couple of hours for an oil change (I previously had a few Lexus vehicles and their complimentary loaners really came in handy in that regard especially with the demanding work schedule )

If I do change it myself , what’s a good recommended strategy to keep a log of self-performed maintenance ? I have all the receipts of the supplies (oil and oil filter ) . Should I go as far as to take pictures while I’m performing the process ? Thanks !
I’d think a log would be a good addition to your records. I don’t think I’d go as far as to take photos.

I’m not saying that GM will never cover something under warranty if you do your own oil changes, it just opens up the possibility.

Personally, I think I’ve owned one vehicle that had a factory warranty in the last 15-20 years so hasn’t been a big issue for me.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since we got the Tahoe it's been the dealer for the service. This dealer does it all like it should, and I sure check it over, get a tire rotation, front end alignment check, check and fill all other fluids, use Dexos synthetic. Longest I've run it is 5000 miles, usually less. $80 out the door and I can't hardly buy 8 quarts and a filter for that these days. And they will wash it but I put a note on the steering wheel not to. But, again, I do check it over.

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On keeping receipts for proof of oil change, I usually buy case of oil filters and if I find oil on sale, I use buy several bottles at that time so receipts wouldn't match oil changes but what I did notice is when I change oil and reset oil monitor it would show reset on the monthly OnStar report that I got for miles driven, time of day, hard stops, hard acceleration etc. I know you could just reset monitor and not change oil just saying another way to show proof of service.

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diesel oil changes aren't special, anyone can do them.

but...

If you dig on the forums you will see declined warranties due to either lack of changes or wrong oil used (Ram Eco Diesels have alot of these). I don't know if GMC is following the same path. A couple months ago I just seen a Ram declined warranty due to a dealer oil change being 500 miles over spec.

I personally buy the packs of oil changes and let GM do the baby dmax and Ram do the ecoDiesel; the packs make the cost a wash when comparing to independents.

CASTLEDFW15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 6K one…Dealer……..First ones Free. After that, hopefully well enough to do my own, but if not probably NTB or Dealer. I say NTB because I plan for the 3 year alignment plan and get rotate, balance and LOF every 6K miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aray1288