Where can I tap into switched power under the dash for my GPS?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

afishinado

Reaction score
There has got to be an unused wire, plug, something under the dash that I can splice or preferably plug into. Want my GPS and radar detector so it goes off and on with the ignition. Car is new to me 2012, I like doing this crap once, and do it correctly. Next is a hidden place to run the GPS power cord in behind the dash without it looking like a Mickey Mouse add on. I searched until my eyes got bleary and the search function on this forum.... Well it sucks.

The GPS is a 7" Garmin and I have a proclip that will mount it over the AC vent in the left/center. Not finding a spot to run the wire there without drilling a hole.

Thanks Guys... I just know someone here has done this correctly!

BEEMDUB

PIMP DADDY FLEX
Reaction score
There's a bunch underneath the driver side dash, grab a multimeter and test some in the main harnesses, I can't think of the right colors for the switched accessory wire but theres a couple under there

OP
OP
afishinado

afishinado

Reaction score
Thanks Beedub... I knew that and was hoping for something a bit more precise.... I have read there are 'hot' wires under there that operate low voltage solenoids etc,
I just don't wanna F something up (been known to do that from time to time:emotions122:

BEEMDUB

PIMP DADDY FLEX
Reaction score
Thanks Beedub... I knew that and was hoping for something a bit more precise.... I have read there are 'hot' wires under there that operate low voltage solenoids etc,
I just don't wanna F something up (been known to do that from time to time:emotions122:

Yea sorry, to be honest since my truck was originally fitted with all the harnesses for police lights for an undercover, I just tapped into one of those wires in the unused light harnesses haha But like I said if you take a multimeter and find a wire that reads over 12v its not going to be a low voltage solenoid (unless it leads to a relay for a solenoid which still wouldnt **** anything up)...You could even find the accessory wire for the radio behind the dash and tap it into that

Parthery

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pop the panel off the passenger side of the dash, next to the door. Use your multimeter or test light...if I recall it's either yellow or gray...there is also a bolt that you can use for the ground.

I have my Valentine and a hidden cig plug for the phone wired in there...powers both without an issue.

OP
OP
afishinado

afishinado

Reaction score
Parthery, got the wire run down the drivers side now....
Don't I know you from another forum? You have a Grady 22 Tourney right?

A little bit nerve racking prying on the 'plastique wood'... But I am happy with how it came out... Took me about 1/2 hour to get the power lead fished through and out the bottom, picked up a power plug, now all I need to do is find a source and it's done.

Attachments

• IMG_20130522_173418_266.jpg
    IMG_20130522_173418_266.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20130522_173511_884.jpg
    IMG_20130522_173511_884.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
OP
OP
afishinado

afishinado

Reaction score
Well, I got impatient... Went to the Chevy dealer this morning and told the service advisor what I wanted to do. He said the right way is adding a relay, and it would take 1/2 hour... Do it... So 2 hours later, it was ready, I dunno how or where the relay and plug are (fine with me) they washed the truck, and with tax, out the door was $60.36. Glad I took that route.

Parthery

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Parthery, got the wire run down the drivers side now....
Don't I know you from another forum? You have a Grady 22 Tourney right?

A little bit nerve racking prying on the 'plastique wood'... But I am happy with how it came out... Took me about 1/2 hour to get the power lead fished through and out the bottom, picked up a power plug, now all I need to do is find a source and it's done.

Guilty as charged:gr_grin:

My bad cost you $60, I'm afraid. What I was referring to was on the edge of the dash, not the plastique...it looks just like the fuse cover, only it's on the passenger side. Anyway - glad you are hooked up....

Asylum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are correct about adding a relay. When connecting an additional accessory to a power source wire, you are pulling more amps from that line and may pull more than the fuse is intended to handle. So adding a relay will only pull enough juice to activate the coil inside which is close to nothing.

grizzlyak

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
They are correct about adding a relay. When connecting an additional accessory to a power source wire, you are pulling more amps from that line and may pull more than the fuse is intended to handle. So adding a relay will only pull enough juice to activate the coil inside which is close to nothing.
This makes sense, but then, I assume, you'd pull power directly from the battery. Where is that fed from? Are there locations that make that tap easy? Most backup cameras tell you to plug directly into the reverse light circuit wiring and the monitor is plugged into an accsy plug. I'm assuming (again) that neither of these would draw much power, or they would suggest other means. I'm only asking because I'm currently in the process of wiring both a backup camera/monitor AND a trailering rear-facing camera/monitor to my 01 Yukon SLT and trying to plan this out effectively.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n