Looking to tap switched/Acc circuit for rear dash cam.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are plenty of fuses you could tap, but all are full time power. You could have a dome light that switches manually. I think the ideal circuit to tap would be an empty fuse socket not in use. I think there may be some which are powered. My second choice would be to find a safe fuse to tap, and don't tap anything greater in amperage than the rating of the fuse tap.
Thank you and I hope not to clutter your post with nonsense. Did you know that the 2015, 2016 models had a 4th row cargo light, but then they eliminated it in 2017 or 2018? So the cargo area now relies on the 3rd row light to illuminate. I'd want a door switched power source if I was ever to add a cargo light. I guess I'll have to look into that further if that is what I want to do. Tapping off of the 3rd row dome light would seem to be ideal if it wasn't such a reported pain to pull down from the headliner and roofline.

TheGrayingTech

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Anyone ever use something like this:

61O5xX9LYdL._SL1500_.jpg

Since the rear fuse panel is fully powered, I was considering putting a voltage protector between the fuse tap and the camera; In my case it is the iVolt battery system.
In theory, when the truck is off, voltage is too low so the switch turns off. When the truck is on, the voltage is high so the switch turns back on. Thus creating an ACC enabled circuit off of a constant source.

Last edited:

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever use something like this:

View attachment 394890

Since the rear fuse panel is fully powered, I was considering putting a voltage protector between the fuse tap and the camera; In my case it is the iVolt battery system.
In theory, when the truck is off, voltage is too low so the switch turns off. When the truck is on, the voltage is high so the switch turns back on. Thus creating an ACC enabled circuit off of a constant source.
You may as well run a switched power source wire from the front to the rear. Less complication!

TheGrayingTech

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You may as well run a switched power source wire from the front to the rear. Less complication!
Maybe, but the passenger side compartment also does not have a 20a switched fuse. I only found 1 in the engine bay and that's more hassle to me.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe, but the passenger side compartment also does not have a 20a switched fuse. I only found 1 in the engine bay and that's more hassle to me.
It's not the most difficult thing to run a wire through a firewall grommet. Better than having to add yet another module! Also why in the world is this camera requiring 20 amps? I would think 5 would be sufficient.

PS - what are the factory accessory ports/cigarette lighter outlets fused at? I assume yours are switched power as are mine, and you can move over the fuse to make them full time power if you really wanted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdheffel01