Aftermarket backup camera - where to get power inside of vehicle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bcbickers

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Greetings All! This is for my new-to-me 2012 Suburban Z-71. I just installed a Eonon GMA12S-6G Android radio and a backup camera in the factory location. I need to get power to the camera, but i don't want to drill into the chassis to get the power wires from the reverse lights into the cabin, and I would like to ability to turn the camera on without being in reverse. I ran the power and signal wires from the liftgate to under the driver's dash. Where would be a good place to get power up in the front of the truck? Thanks!

senkowtahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the diagram. That's exactly the kind of provision I was hoping for. I bought the pigtail and connected the camera to the 10A run/crank circuit. Works perfectly. Thanks a million for your help!
I have the same truck, what pigtail did you get?
The wiring in the back was it up in the headliner or ran down to the hatch I can't find where the camera plugs in

OP
OP
bcbickers

bcbickers

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the same truck, what pigtail did you get?
The wiring in the back was it up in the headliner or ran down to the hatch I can't find where the camera plugs in
My 'burb didn't come with a factory backup cam, so there wasn't any wiring at all, front or rear. The backup cam I bought has a 26 ft. cable. I ran that through the tailgate and along the driver's side up to the head unit. I didn't want to pull power from the reverse light because that requires drilling through the body and I wanted the camera to work in any gear, not just reverse, so I extended the power and ground cables of the camera all the way the front of the vehicle as well. I then connected the camera's power and ground to a factory upfitter pigtail I bought on eBay. This connector plugs into the MBEC as indicated by mikez71 in post #2. I used wires 1 and 7 for a 10A constant feed, so the camera always has power. It's a little grainy at night in really dark areas but works great otherwise!

I bought this camera because of the flush mount fitment - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H852D49/

And this is the factory pigtail - https://www.ebay.com/itm/222369004159

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts