When do we worry about brake fluid leaks - now or soon?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danneman

Reaction score
A few drops of bright green fluid on the garage floor, passenger side, under the step rail. Took a peek and appears to be brake fluid. A little bit collected around a joint in the line. Not gushing, but obviously there's a leak. Just the one part of the one line, checked all others and did not see any fluid.

Ordinarily I take care of these things immediately, but the Yukon has been on a roll lately with the repairs. This is my daily driver. Do I need to worry right now, or can I keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get worse and have it taken care of in the next few months?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's only gonna get worse and when will it really let go- during an emergency stop on the highway? If fluid can get out, air can get in. You'll be forced to fix it when the pedal becomes too soft.

Bright green brake fluid? Any chance it's antifreeze that may have dripped from somewhere further up and ran down that brake line and collected at that union?

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dont brake lines run down the driver side?

Did you have the a/c dye tested? A/c lines run down the passenger side.

Brake fuid is clear or if old black, antifreeze should be orange unless it was swapped for the green stuff and the only bright green i can think of is a/c refrigerant dye.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont brake lines run down the driver side?

Did you have the a/c dye tested? A/c lines run down the passenger side.

Brake fuid is clear or if old black, antifreeze should be orange unless it was swapped for the green stuff and the only bright green i can think of is a/c refrigerant dye.

Good points. I didn't even think about the brake lines running down the left side. I also thought it was a 2-door, so no rear A/C. Now that I'm squinting harder at my laptop screen... lol.

OP
OP
D

Danneman

Reaction score
That's right, there's that unit back there in the cargo area! Ok, that has to be it...so no major operational issue that will prevent me from staying alive on the highways of Chicago, just a comfort thing.

Thank you all!

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's right, there's that unit back there in the cargo area! Ok, that has to be it...so no major operational issue that will prevent me from staying alive on the highways of Chicago, just a comfort thing.

Thank you all!
Not but your passengers will be hot..... but then again i do it to my kids on purpose.....turn their heat on

NastyNate98

Reaction score
If you ever see brake fluid, fix it immediately. I lost brakes going downhill towards a stop sign where cross traffic didn't stop. Luckily the e-brake worked and slowed me to a stop. But that was one of the most terrifying experiences of my life! Don't gamble with your life and everyone else's on the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157