Wheel weights----ADHESIVE vs CLIP ON---

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jolly Roger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought tires at Costco and when they mounted them to my after market Fuel rims they used clip-on style weights instead of adhesive style weights.

Which ones work better?

I go off-road every once in a while and live in a cold weather climate so clip on weights sound like the better option. However many have said to use the stick on adhesive weights especially if your installing them on clean new rims like I am doing. The 4x4 guys say to use silicone or aluminum tape over the stick-on weights for added strength.

I had made two appointments at the tire shop, one today to have the tires put on the rims and balanced with adhesive weights...
and one appointment Monday to put them on the truck.

The plan was to go home with the tires today and silicone/tape the weights, install on Mon.

To my surprise today after telling them I wanted adhesive weights, they installed clip-on style weights instead. Should I just keep them that way or have them redone?

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Bought tires at Costco and when they mounted them to my after market Fuel rims they used clip-on style weights instead of adhesive style weights.

Which ones work better?

I go off-road every once in a while and live in a cold weather climate so clip on weights sound like the better option. However many have said to use the stick on adhesive weights especially if your installing them on clean new rims like I am doing. The 4x4 guys say to use silicone or aluminum tape over the stick-on weights for added strength.

I had made two appointments at the tire shop, one today to have the tires put on the rims and balanced with adhesive weights...
and one appointment Monday to put them on the truck.

The plan was to go home with the tires today and silicone/tape the weights, install on Mon.

To my surprise today after telling them I wanted adhesive weights, they installed clip-on style weights instead. Should I just keep them that way or have them redone?
I prefer the clip ons myself. I've had a few of the stick on type fall off--they don't always fall off tho. With custom or new rims I like to put the clip on style on the inside of the rim, just in case they scratch the rim.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I prefer the clip ons myself. I've had a few of the stick on type fall off--they don't always fall off tho. With custom or new rims I like to put the clip on style on the inside of the rim, just in case they scratch the rim.
If they only put weights on the inside, they can’t balance them as well as if the weights can be located to the inboard or outboard direction as well as around the circumference, especially for wide wheels. I’ve watched as they balance them, and the good machines have a location that pinpoints the distance from the inside or outside. I like the stick on weights for this reason as well as the ability to hide them behind spokes. I’ve been told that if I only let them put clip-ons on the inside of the rim they won’t guarantee the balance.

OP
OP
Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks Tony! I appreciate your input. Ive had a few of my old tire shop palls get back to me as well and they agree with you. (static balance inner clip weight) They said unless I plan on scrapping rocks with my rims they wouldn't go with adhesive weights.

I ask around the other forums and I might as well be asking Pepsi vs Coke. Seems to be about half and half out there.

OP
OP
Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they only put weights on the inside, they can’t balance them as well as if the weights can be located to the inboard or outboard direction as well as around the circumference, especially for wide wheels. I’ve watched as they balance them, and the good machines have a location that pinpoints the distance from the inside or outside. I like the stick on weights for this reason as well as the ability to hide them behind spokes. I’ve been told that if I only let them put clip-ons on the inside of the rim they won’t guarantee the balance.

Wheel width seems to be one of the larger dividing lines between the two options for sure. Im running a 8.5" wheel with 285/70/17s

caliper clearance is another issue brought up with the adhesive weights..

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wheel width seems to be one of the larger dividing lines between the two options for sure. Im running a 8.5" wheel with 285/70/17s

caliper clearance is another issue brought up with the adhesive weights..
Might be ok with static balance but that’s never worked for me, I always ended up with vibrations at higher speeds, usually 60 and up. I’ll never do static again.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
I prefer stick on at every opportunity. You might need a hair bit more weight than you would with clip on due to both a reduced cylinder height and diameter with respect to a rotating circumference, but I've found it to be fairly minor and worth the trade offs.

Stick ons also won't get ripped off while off-roading. They also won't scratch/gouge the outer rim of the wheel like the clip variety do. BUT, and this is a big but depending on the condition of your rig; if you have a clear coat failure on your wheel, stick ons won't adhere wheel or will be apt to fall off. An installer worth their salt will clean up peeling clear coat and corrosion (as opposed to a quick wipe with wire brush, rag, and cleaner) prior to installing them. But then that begs the question of if the wheel is in that bad of shape, would you care about that? Meh. Give/take

Stick on:
Need more weight
Don't gouge wheel
Aesthetic
Less apt to shift or come off during offroad use
Surface prep

Clip on:
Less weight
Faster
No reduction in clearance for tight fitting applications

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^ This.

If they're balanced and the sight of the weights doesn't bother you, then leave it. Personally, I'd rather not see the weights and have never had an issue with the adhesive ones coming off. I have no problem with using clip-ons on the inner lip and adhesive for the outer.

Functionally, well, Chris summed it all up.

OP
OP
Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After combing the internet even more, the clip-on weights seem to be the choice of the masses. Seems as though one forum will lean one direction while another will swear by the other.
But if I take the 4 hours of searching and reading all together the clip-on style weights seem to win. Im not doubting anyone. Im now more confused as ever as to what to do.
I got these sitting in the truck ready to mount tomorrow....should I tell them to take off the weights and re-balance with stick-ons?

20191006_161915.jpg 20191006_162038.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak

Latest posts