Wheel weights----ADHESIVE vs CLIP ON---

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally I'd start by going back and telling them to use the right weight. Wrong clip shape for the profile of the lip

Edit: Also not hammered on all the way

Good, im glad im not seeing things.......kinda why I zoomed in on that pic. My discreet way of saying "anyone else see this shit?"

These tire places are absolutely SLAMMED right now because its tire change over season where I live. (everyone changing to there studded tires for winter) lines out the doors!
Getting correct or un-rushed work is impossible, asking for anything particular or special from them is met with a deer in the headlights look..
I leave in a few hours to get them put on, wish me luck.

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Steel wheels I just go with clip ons (and I’ve got some VERY tight clearances with brakes and wheels on 2 vehicles).

Any alloy wheels I’ve owned haven’t had a lip so they’ve used stick on weights. I usually just toss a large piece of tape over them to hold it from falling off.

Idriveaho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish the didn’t use clip ons for my 20 inch chrome rims. They have the typical gouging and have caused corrosion.

OP
OP
Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
COSTCO NEVER AGAIN!
Just because a person can feed themselves doesn't mean you should hire them to work at a tire shop.
Could just be this generation...they seem to really care less about anything at all. Every one of them I talked to had the attention span of a nat. Just a shrug of the shoulder attitude.
I decided to just roll with the static balance (clip-on) but had them fix the one weight that looked off. I got the 17 year old girl as my tire professional for the day....
I stood there the entire 3 hours it took to mount my tires. Glad I did because she almost didn't install my centric rings. When I did turn my attention somewhere else she ruined my $80 set of lug nuts resulting in my brand new Fuel rims mounted with "house" lug nuts instead.
The manager got involved and aided with the job by hammering my center caps on with his fist until they bottomed out on the hubs sideways. I had to pry them out with a screwdriver when I got home chipping some paint on the rims.
Basic trimming was needed for clearance and I needed some of those plastic under skirting push plugs so off to the auto store I went only to throw a wheel weight on my way there.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
COSTCO NEVER AGAIN!
Just because a person can feed themselves doesn't mean you should hire them to work at a tire shop.
Could just be this generation...they seem to really care less about anything at all. Every one of them I talked to had the attention span of a nat. Just a shrug of the shoulder attitude.
I decided to just roll with the static balance (clip-on) but had them fix the one weight that looked off. I got the 17 year old girl as my tire professional for the day....
I stood there the entire 3 hours it took to mount my tires. Glad I did because she almost didn't install my centric rings. When I did turn my attention somewhere else she ruined my $80 set of lug nuts resulting in my brand new Fuel rims mounted with "house" lug nuts instead.
The manager got involved and aided with the job by hammering my center caps on with his fist until they bottomed out on the hubs sideways. I had to pry them out with a screwdriver when I got home chipping some paint on the rims.
Basic trimming was needed for clearance and I needed some of those plastic under skirting push plugs so off to the auto store I went only to throw a wheel weight on my way there.
SMH :chair:
I would have went BALLISTIC if that was me!! I def would've made the girl cry :oops:. Unreal.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Luckily, here in the PNW, there are two main tire shops. Les Schwab and Discount Tire. They have it all down to a science. They both can be slammed and I can walk in and buy 4 tires and even wheels and they are done in 1 hour. I watched at Discount Tire where I bought the wheels and every time I asked the guy a question he responded with a "yes sir" and a "no sir". They know I used to run shops so I got to check my brakes, check front end components, walk under to look for any leaks and they boxed up my old wheels and they loaded in back. Gave me some extra new lug nuts and gave me an extra special removal tool for them as well. Could not have been happier.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Luckily, here in the PNW, there are two main tire shops. Les Schwab and Discount Tire. They have it all down to a science. They both can be slammed and I can walk in and buy 4 tires and even wheels and they are done in 1 hour. I watched at Discount Tire where I bought the wheels and every time I asked the guy a question he responded with a "yes sir" and a "no sir". They know I used to run shops so I got to check my brakes, check front end components, walk under to look for any leaks and they boxed up my old wheels and they loaded in back. Gave me some extra new lug nuts and gave me an extra special removal tool for them as well. Could not have been happier.
I wouldn’t let either of those shops work on anything other than basic wheels. There’s also Point S which used to be Tire Factory. Les Schwab is employee-owned which means that every single employee there makes more the more they sell, which turns them all into up-sellers. They’re expensive and try to sell tires when they’re not needed, brakes, etc. 20 years ago they were good but I won’t go there anymore. Discount is ok. Point S is better than those 2 but I took a set of 26’s there and I don’t think they’d ever done any stick on weights- they fell off in my driveway the same day. Then when they did get them to stick after I explained how to install them, they couldn’t balance them after 3 tries. I finally found a small independent shop that knows their stuff, just in time to work on my 26” billets that cost me $6k. So it depends on what kind of wheels you’re working with, I guess, but I’d rather use a shop that can do the harder installs to work on even basic wheels because they’re just more likely to do a better job.

The Raven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been using stick-ons for the entirety of the time that it's been a choice. Never had a single issue. Plus, you can't (properly) roadforce a tire with clip-ons. The wider the tire and the bigger the wheel, the more important this becomes.

OP
OP
Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I took it to my regular tire shop down the road after explaining what happened at Costco and they hooked me up with a Dynamic balance with stick on weights. However, one wheel needed quite a bit of weight and I noticed when I got home that they had stacked the stick-on weights in one area. Is this normal?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rs401