What's the easiest way to get to the washer pump/hose??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
My windshield washer hose seems to have failed at the pump. The pump goes, and fluid comes pouring out of the engine bay under the battery. As far as I can tell there is no way to get there short of taking the battery and tray completely out, which would be a PITA.

Please tell me I'm wrong.

('03 Denali)

2kwik4u

Reaction score
I was able to fish through to get to mine from the underside. I was able to loosen a few bolts to "pull" the fender line back a little. It's a SUPER tight fit to get to it that way, but I was able to replace BOTH pumps, AND all the lines fishing some lines down through the top.

I've also removed the battery, and tray, and all that mess completely....TWICE....If you don't have small hands, or don't want to fight the tight space, thats the way to do it. It takes a little longer, and of course you can't test everything until you hook the battery back up, but it's still only an hour or so project.

Also, just an FYI, the local parts stores here (Napa, AutoZone, OReilly). ALL have the pumps reversed in thier system. If you ask for a "front" pump, then you get the one for the rear window. If you ask for a "rear" pump you get the one for the windshield. I just replaced BOTH, within a week of each other, as well as ran all new underhood lines. First time that feature has worked on the truck in over 100k miles!

OP
OP
DenaliAK

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
I should have time to tinker with it this evening. Thanks for the heads-up on the reverse pump thing. That's strange and annoying. Are the hoses easy to find at the parts stores?

Hoping to get my instrument cluster back today as well, so I can just add this to the projects.

OP
OP
DenaliAK

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
My problem was easier than I thought it would be. The hose right above the battery where it runs along the engine bay was broken. Bought a coupler, cut the ends of the hoses to get rid of any cracks, applied silicone, and stuck it all back together. Once the silicone has a chance to set I'll test it out but I think it'll be a good fix.

I was not looking forward to having to get under the battery to access things, so I'm happy this was all up top in plain view and easy access.

Also got the cluster installed. Now I need to wait for dark, or as dark as it gets here in the summer, so I can appreciate the LED gauges. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo

Latest posts