Windshield washer leak- 1 bolt fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

03yukXL

Reaction score
Hey guys just a hint in case you need to replace your leaking windshield washer pumps.

I had to do mine but the bolts holding on the battery tray are pretty rough and it was going to be a fight.

I ended up taking off the front left tire, popping 3 or 4 push clips on the inner fender well and removing one, 10 mm bolt from the windshield washer reservoir. It allows you to pry the tank away from the frame about 1.5 inches. That gave me enough space to get the motors out. If they are stuck pry them up with a screwdriver gently, then tilt them away from the tank. Lower them gently, remove the hose first and then the plug.

The rear motor is a little fiddly to get back in, but replacing the grommets and everting can be done from under the car.

Anyway worked for me, took about 20 min. Hope it helps somebody.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hey guys just a hint in case you need to replace your leaking windshield washer pumps.

I had to do mine but the bolts holding on the battery tray are pretty rough and it was going to be a fight.

I ended up taking off the front left tire, popping 3 or 4 push clips on the inner fender well and removing one, 10 mm bolt from the windshield washer reservoir. It allows you to pry the tank away from the frame about 1.5 inches. That gave me enough space to get the motors out. If they are stuck pry them up with a screwdriver gently, then tilt them away from the tank. Lower them gently, remove the hose first and then the plug.

The rear motor is a little fiddly to get back in, but replacing the grommets and everting can be done from under the car.

We always appreciate info like this work around. Repairs are not always straight forward.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For anyone lucky enough to get the bolts out of the battery tray, if going that route or replacing the entire tank...

Clean the bolts and apply anti-seize.
Makes removal much easier next time.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or live in an area where there is no rust, like me.
Beautiful waterfalls AND no rust?! Thanks for rubbing a little road salt into open wounds!

Also, AGM batteries and maintenance-free batteries seem to spill less battery acid in the battery trays now days too... A lot less corrosion in the engine bays.

Once cleaned up, the battery tray and bolts should stay cleaner longer than years past.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yep, I got no rust and also have an AGM battery in my rig. I worked in and ran shops in the rust belt area of KC, Mo. and when I came here 27 years ago and found no rust on the vehicles in the shops I ran, I knew I had "died and gone to Heaven".

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thank you for your write-up. I had no washer fluid to my rear wiper a few years ago, and I accessed the pump in the same manner that you documented (I did not document it, sadly.). Our collective knowledge base has been increased.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz