What product for removing haze off stock rims?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ec07z71

Reaction score
(Sorry I did a search but couldn't find a definitive answer)

Have stock clear coated 20" rims that are very cloudy. What would you guys use to remove the haze without damaging the clear coat?

Thanks!

FishinCricket

GMC Salesman
Reaction score
Could you post a picture? "Hazy" is a vague term, is it something bonded to the paint on the rim, or severe minute scratches in the CC?

OP
OP
ec07z71

ec07z71

Reaction score
Could you post a picture? "Hazy" is a vague term, is it something bonded to the paint on the rim, or severe minute scratches in the CC?

sorry didn't get these on sooner - had to "dig" them out of hibernation!

-hopefully you can make out the hazy/cloudiness -there is some scratching as well as some pitting - thanks again!

Attachments

• DSCF2847.jpg
    DSCF2847.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCF2852.jpg
    DSCF2852.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCF2853.jpg
    DSCF2853.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

AdamsPolishes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since they are clear coated, you polish them with normal car polish and treat them just like a painted body panel.

We offer a handful of different polishes for this application. Are you doing it by hand or do you have access to a machine polisher?

OP
OP
ec07z71

ec07z71

Reaction score
Since they are clear coated, you polish them with normal car polish and treat them just like a painted body panel.

We offer a handful of different polishes for this application. Are you doing it by hand or do you have access to a machine polisher?

unfortunately by hand - do you have something you'd recommend? - thank you very much!

AdamsPolishes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
unfortunately by hand - do you have something you'd recommend? - thank you very much!

Swirl and Haze Remover followed by Revive Polish to remove any defects. Once they are corrected to your liking, seal them up with a coat of Quick Sealant and you'll be good for a few months.

The Quick Sealant helps to repel dirt, road grime, and brake dust very well. It's also great on paint, which is what we originally formulated it to be used for but our customers LOVE it on wheels since it's so easy to use.

FishinCricket

GMC Salesman
Reaction score
Im curipus what makes you say that your wheel is clear coated?

Those do not appear to be clear coated, they are high polished aluminum, I believe. If so then a metal polish should remedy the hazing (which appears to be swirls from scrubbing, maybe? Hard to tell in the photos), I use Never Dull.

Could you confirm what that wheel came off of? I can run the VIN if its the stock wheel off of that Tahoe in your avatar/photo... One thing is for sure, you'll wanna start with the least aggressive (and most appropriate) method possible...

OP
OP
ec07z71

ec07z71

Reaction score
Im curipus what makes you say that your wheel is clear coated?

Those do not appear to be clear coated, they are high polished aluminum, I believe. If so then a metal polish should remedy the hazing (which appears to be swirls from scrubbing, maybe? Hard to tell in the photos), I use Never Dull.

Could you confirm what that wheel came off of? I can run the VIN if its the stock wheel off of that Tahoe in your avatar/photo... One thing is for sure, you'll wanna start with the least aggressive (and most appropriate) method possible...

Thanks for your observation -one thing I do know they are not the stock rims as my truck is a z71....I just assumed they were clear-coated as that seems to me the norm for early model 20" rims. Also, when I did try some Mothers aluminum polish the rag didn't get black like it usually does when you use it on bare aluminum. Thanks again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BenK