Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eltoxico

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've been creeping these forums for the past couple months while deciding which parts to buy for a basic 2 to 3" lift/level and bigger tires without breaking the bank.

Quick backstory, last year a few months before I got deployed, I bought Big Bertha, a 2005 Yukon SLT 4x4, at a decent price of $4500. Got her at 183K miles and did an oil change, checked fluids, fixed a few minor check engine light issues, airbag sensors and replaced the worn rear brakes with Power Stop K2046-36 Rear Z36. Took her on a 2.5k mile round trip from Seattle area to San Diego. It's in decent condition but it needs further service now that's she's at 203k miles. She rocks a lot when cars pass me, especially big rigs, so I'm replacing struts and springs. She has the Smooth Ride suspension with fat struts and ZW7/G65 codes. She also needs new tires. Now that I'm back from deployment, I'm giving her a BBL then taking her on that trip again next weekend.

Big Bertha came with Pathfinder Sport AT 265/70/R16 tires on aftermarket rims. I don't like how small those tires look on the huge wheel wells so I'm looking at 33's/BFGoodRich 285/75/R16. So I bought the following last night on Amazon:

Supreme Suspensions 2" Spacers - $50
Supreme Suspensions 1 - 3" Torsion Keys - $90
Bumpers - $11
MOOG 81069 Coil Spring Set - $69
Moog K160072 Coil Spring Insulator - x2 $22
Bilstein 24-186643 Front Shocks and Bilstein 24-187237 Rear Shocks - $375
Total around $675 after taxes.

Suspension:
I'm starting to think I should of instead bought the Bilstein 24-185783 for the Rear since they're rated for 3" lift and I'm adding a 2" spacer in the rear and I just read somewhere that the Moog 81069 adds an extra 1 to 2" in lift. I'm also considering towing my wife's 3258lb car during the trip if my transmission can handle it. Any tips on this will be greatly appreciated. Is the setup I purchased a good enough suspension upgrade for heavy cargo during family road trips, towing and clearance for 33's or should I switch to other parts? Everything I bought has a 30 day return period.

Brakes:
I'm still researching if I can do a big brake upgrade for the front. Don't know if the NNBS+ setup fits inside my 16" wheels. Alternatively, looking at Power Stop K2009-36 Front Z36. Big bertha has dual piston calipers all around already. Not sure if it comes like that from factory or if the previous owner installed them.

Performance:
Considering upgrading intake and exhaust, then tuning once suspension and brakes are done, most likely after the road trip. What do you guys have or recommend?

Sorry for the long post. All input is appreciated. My ultimate use goal for Big Bertha is for roadtrips, camping, overlanding, Baja trips, and towing no heavier than a car or travel trailer.

Attachments

• BigBertha Snow.jpeg
    BigBertha Snow.jpeg
    270.8 KB · Views: 10
  • BigBertha Front Tire.jpeg
    BigBertha Front Tire.jpeg
    284.1 KB · Views: 7
  • BigBertha Back Tire.jpeg
    BigBertha Back Tire.jpeg
    331.4 KB · Views: 10
  • BigBertha Codes.jpeg
    BigBertha Codes.jpeg
    168.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All lifted 2000’s gms shake going down the highway running slightly lower tire pressure sometimes helps or a steering stabilizer another thing is the pitman and idler arms they are sloppy even new ones unless you upgrade , my front wheel hubs are bad and that’s why mine vibrates

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
None of my lifted GMs shake going down the highway.

The parts listed should work out fine. I think you're right on the shock choice - particularly if towing, the shorter shock will be better.

BFG is a good tire. If you haven't already, also look at the Falken AT3W. I much prefer them to the BFG, personally, but to each their own.

OP
OP
Eltoxico

Eltoxico

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
All lifted 2000’s gms shake going down the highway running slightly lower tire pressure sometimes helps or a steering stabilizer another thing is the pitman and idler arms they are sloppy even new ones unless you upgrade , my front wheel hubs are bad and that’s why mine vibrates
What do you recommend upgrading pitman and idler arms to?

None of my lifted GMs shake going down the highway.

The parts listed should work out fine. I think you're right on the shock choice - particularly if towing, the shorter shock will be better.

BFG is a good tire. If you haven't already, also look at the Falken AT3W. I much prefer them to the BFG, personally, but to each their own.

Thanks for clarifying regarding the rear shocks. I had no idea shorter shocks were better for towing. Do you know why?
I haven't looked in to the AT3W's yet. Why do you prefer them over the BFG?

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks for clarifying regarding the rear shocks. I had no idea shorter shocks were better for towing. Do you know why?
Super steer makes good stuff so does kryptonite but currently I’m running trq stuff that was put on in a emergency but as stuff goes out I’ll put better stuff to clarify my truck shakes due to my bad hubs (extremely common) and one shredded wheel that’s unbalanced if you want unkillable tie rods you want heim joint swap tie rods

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The shock length is important, to provide full shock travel if lifted more than factory height. I’m not sure how a shorter shock would be better for towing. If your shocks are the factory length, but you’re lifted 2-3”, your shocks will reach their limit, and cause the suspension travel to immediately, jarringly stop. That’s not a good thing. You can use shock extension brackets, or purchase a longer shock to match your lift. I used the Bilstein 5100’s up front, while all I did for lift, was crank up the torsion bars, but it did lift approximately 2”. The pitman and idler arms can be replaced with OEM stuff, and will be fine (if they need replacement) make sure your jounce stops continue to make contact with the control arm, as these are a critical component of the torsion bar suspension. They provide a fulcrum point for the bar, and if that contact is missing, the torsion bars become very “bouncy”. I installed new jounce stops, and a small poly spacer, to close the gap, and ensure continued contact. (I believe spec is 0-1/4” while the vehicle is sitting at rest, meaning with it’s full weight on the suspension) Ensure the suspension is tight all around, check for any play in all ball joints, tie rods, control arms, etc.. also ensure the wheel hubs have no play (though this is just to cover the bases, not related to your issue)

Attachments

• F5568A03-1431-4178-84D5-BA13D2749F88.jpeg
    F5568A03-1431-4178-84D5-BA13D2749F88.jpeg
    333.8 KB · Views: 7

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Only because the rear end will be squatted. You'll be less likely to bottom the shocks out. That is, of course, only if the Monroe's you mentioned to in fact have a greater extended length than factory.

They're a bit quieter in my experience, last a long time (I got 65k out of a set that was pretty abused), more impressed with the performance at least here on the east coast with the snow and mud.

OP
OP
Eltoxico

Eltoxico

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Super steer makes good stuff so does kryptonite but currently I’m running trq stuff that was put on in a emergency but as stuff goes out I’ll put better stuff to clarify my truck shakes due to my bad hubs (extremely common) and one shredded wheel that’s unbalanced if you want unkillable tie rods you want heim joint swap tie rods
Thanks. I'll look in to these.
The shock length is important, to provide full shock travel if lifted more than factory height. I’m not sure how a shorter shock would be better for towing. If your shocks are the factory length, but you’re lifted 2-3”, your shocks will reach their limit, and cause the suspension travel to immediately, jarringly stop. That’s not a good thing. You can use shock extension brackets, or purchase a longer shock to match your lift. I used the Bilstein 5100’s up front, while all I did for lift, was crank up the torsion bars, but it did lift approximately 2”. The pitman and idler arms can be replaced with OEM stuff, and will be fine (if they need replacement) make sure your jounce stops continue to make contact with the control arm, as these are a critical component of the torsion bar suspension. They provide a fulcrum point for the bar, and if that contact is missing, the torsion bars become very “bouncy”. I installed new jounce stops, and a small poly spacer, to close the gap, and ensure continued contact. (I believe spec is 0-1/4” while the vehicle is sitting at rest, meaning with it’s full weight on the suspension) Ensure the suspension is tight all around, check for any play in all ball joints, tie rods, control arms, etc.. also ensure the wheel hubs have no play (though this is just to cover the bases, not related to your issue)
Thanks, I believe the front Bilstein shocks I purchased are for 2 to 4" lifts to accomodate the torsion keys I ordered. The rear I believe are rated for 0 to 2" lifts. With the 2" spacers I got and the possible 1" additional lift the Moog z71 springs might give it, I might have to either get the shock extenders or remove the spacers. I'll try it with the spacers first and remove them before the trip if they feel funky. I'll check the pitman and idler arms during installation and replace them if needed. I did order new jounce stops but where did you get your poly spacers from incase I need them?

Only because the rear end will be squatted. You'll be less likely to bottom the shocks out. That is, of course, only if the Monroe's you mentioned to in fact have a greater extended length than factory.

They're a bit quieter in my experience, last a long time (I got 65k out of a set that was pretty abused), more impressed with the performance at least here on the east coast with the snow and mud.
I was hoping not to squat with the 2" spacers I'm installing. We'll see how she holds up with the car fully loaded for the road trip and while towing, if I do tow soon. As far as the AT3's, after further looking in to them, I guess I'll go for what's cheaper and available vs the BFG KO2's. Both these tires seem to be the top choice from what I've read.

I finally received all parts. I will be installing them tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20230424_154743.jpg
    20230424_154743.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 6

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll definitely still squat with the spacers; spacers will have no effect on spring rate. You'll just start squatting 2" higher than you would have without.

Sounds like you're on the right track. Good luck!

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll look in to these.

Thanks, I believe the front Bilstein shocks I purchased are for 2 to 4" lifts to accomodate the torsion keys I ordered. The rear I believe are rated for 0 to 2" lifts. With the 2" spacers I got and the possible 1" additional lift the Moog z71 springs might give it, I might have to either get the shock extenders or remove the spacers. I'll try it with the spacers first and remove them before the trip if they feel funky. I'll check the pitman and idler arms during installation and replace them if needed. I did order new jounce stops but where did you get your poly spacers from incase I need them?

I was hoping not to squat with the 2" spacers I'm installing. We'll see how she holds up with the car fully loaded for the road trip and while towing, if I do tow soon. As far as the AT3's, after further looking in to them, I guess I'll go for what's cheaper and available vs the BFG KO2's. Both these tires seem to be the top choice from what I've read.

I finally received all parts. I will be installing them tomorrow.
I got the spacers from energy suspension, IIRC, I figured out the parts I wanted on their site and then ordered from that jungle website.. a little cheaper. YMMV.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Banjomatic