what engine oil do you guys use on your Tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justinp2459

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The reason I ask is because the manual says 5w30. However, I have a very (very) small leak in the rear main gasket that I plan on getting fixed very soon and big name shop here in Washington changed my oil and they recommended 10w40 and that is what I have now and I've noticed a little difference in the way the vehicle runs. Thanks for everyone or anyones input.

sbubbaklein

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what kind of oil

I use Mobil 1 5w30 in all my vehicles. I think it gives the best start up lubrication after sitting for awhile. This is factory fill in al GM hypo cars. Shell Helix is considered the best oil in Europe and is factory fill in European delivered hypo cars.

Leedogg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt it will really hurt anything going 10w-30, but I also seriously doubt it will help your leak.

I have ran dino oil(Castrol usually) in all my cars for yrs. have yet to have one fail, and most my vehicles have made it over 200K before I get rid of them.

I have only ran synthetic in my VW TDI cars- as it is required. I bought my Burb with 300K and the original owner said he ran whatever the oil change place, he would be at, used (traveling preacher). Now I did replace the 300K mile motor due to losing oil pressure if it idled for more than a minute or 2 (which is why he was selling it) IMO all these oils now a days are soo much better that 20-30 yrs ago- that it is larger just for peace of mind to use expensive fluids.

I will say though- most people I know that use only synthetics- use Mobil 1.

I run Castrol 5-30 in my vehicles and change the oil every 4-5K. Never had an issue doing this.

Last edited:

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
I stick with the factory recommended 7500 miles. Tho I am really late on this last one. Fluids and filter in the vehicle now so I can do it before leaving the bay area to hit the road again next month.

God

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought you were supposed to change oil on 5.7s every 3k miles?

KPOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Pennzoil Platinum, change about every 4500. I'm using a Wix filter and I'm not sure how many miles it can take.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
I use synthetic. Believe penzoil not sure. I go by the color if the jug lol.. god yes for regular but synthetic lets yo go more I think I'm around 8k on it gotta see but will do it soon and redo my gasket while at it since it's leaking a wee bit