What do you think of the “water based solvent” parts washers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d really like to have a dedicated parts washer in the shop. I don’t like the cost, or really, the danger of having 20 gallons of flammable solvent in the shop. I was considering a Hobo Fraught parts washer. It’s cheap & $130, but the solvent will add up to around $300 I believe to fill it up. I watched a YouTube video of a guy using his, and he seemed pleased. He used I believe “crud cutter” in it, as a water based solvent.

I’m curious if anyone here has one, what they use for solvent, and whether it’s actually worth it.

OP
OP
Sam Harris

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
Sam Harris

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm.. so that’s a service I guess? I went to the Cintas website, and found it, but I’d rather have a dedicated washer I can use when I need it.
Ok, I re-read the post you provided. Thank you. These are definitely not cheap! lol. I am not seeing anything looking around that uses the “real” solvents anymore. Perhaps another victim of EPA “guidelines”?

Attachments

• IMG_0926.png
    IMG_0926.png
    667.8 KB · Views: 4

grouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I clicked the wrong button and ended up here. However, I'll toss my input in.

Where I used to work, I spent 10 years in the Still yard. This is where we refined A-5 crude into different asphalt products. While we did use some fairly strong solvents, we also used Dawn dish washing detergent. For instance, cleaning clothes in SA-47, a kerosene based solvent, cleaned the asphalt out but left a kerosene smell. After that, we used old wringer washers and Dawn to wash out clothes and that took the smell out.

I have since used Dawn in a pan with water to clean parts. When I do a "Farmer Chic" paint job, I'll use Dawn and a scuffer sponge to clean the body before sanding. Then I sand the body down, rinse it off and once dry, start putting the primer and paint on.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d really like to have a dedicated parts washer in the shop. I don’t like the cost, or really, the danger of having 20 gallons of flammable solvent in the shop. I was considering a Hobo Fraught parts washer. It’s cheap & $130, but the solvent will add up to around $300 I believe to fill it up. I watched a YouTube video of a guy using his, and he seemed pleased. He used I believe “crud cutter” in it, as a water based solvent.

I’m curious if anyone here has one, what they use for solvent, and whether it’s actually worth it.
How many gallons does it take? Can you fill it up with something like Purple Power?

OP
OP
Sam Harris

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many gallons does it take? Can you fill it up with something like Purple Power?
Yes, you can use any “water based” solvents. Purple power would be in that list. It’s a 20 gallon, so I believe you’d need around 12 to fill to the correct level.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I was thinking a table top or bucket sized one would work and use less solvent but how do you dispose of the solvent? I use a drain pan and some gasoline. Then I just dump it into my drain oil bucket.

OP
OP
Sam Harris

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking a table top or bucket sized one would work and use less solvent but how do you dispose of the solvent? I use a drain pan and some gasoline. Then I just dump it into my drain oil bucket.
That’s one HUGE benefit of the water based stuff. It’s not flammable. And, I’m not sure how you’d dispose of it.. I do have a rather aggressive red ant population out here however.. :flamingdevil:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn