What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MLRTYME

Reaction score
Okay all...I was able to successfully update the ECM/TCM using my Tech2. As mentioned, it was pretty straightforward...and I dig learning new stuff like that. Engine oil pressure is great and it seems to idle pretty smooth. Happy with the engine rebuild, for sure. Very grateful for the suggestions from the forum gurus.

However, running into a snag with the transmission. (Reminder: 2007 Yukon Denali...no aftermarket mods...6.2...6L80e transmission) The transmission company recommends a Service Fast Learn Adapt procedure be completed. I cannot find this option ANYWHERE in my Tech2? I followed the process, let the transmission get to >158 degrees, did the 3 cycles of Park - Reverse...yada yada.

I went into the Tech2 and entered the following:

-Diagnostics
-Selected Vehicle (2007, K, Yukon)
-Powertrain (selected 6.2)
-TCM

I went to the F5 option (where I had read other makes/models had gone to get their Fast Learn Adapt option), but all I see is Reset Transmission Oil. No option to perform a Fast Learn Adapt. Am I looking in the wrong spot? The transmission company says that not doing this will void the warranty. Ughh!

Can I get anyone with a 2007 Yukon Denali and a Tech2 to confirm that they can see that option? Is it just my Tech2? I am pretty sure the connection is fine as I was able to successfully reprogram the ECM/TCM. The Tech2 reports back the correct software IDs that were not there before I did the update. I can also perform other diagnostic checks and the Tech2 reads all the transmission values when I got into the sensor option (temp, line pressure, etc).

Side note, I had read in one forum something about GM going away from the Fast Learn Adapt on the Tech2...but I cannot confirm this. Wouldn't make sense to me...but I'm also not a GM tech!

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Okay all...I was able to successfully update the ECM/TCM using my Tech2. As mentioned, it was pretty straightforward...and I dig learning new stuff like that. Engine oil pressure is great and it seems to idle pretty smooth. Happy with the engine rebuild, for sure. Very grateful for the suggestions from the forum gurus.

However, running into a snag with the transmission. (Reminder: 2007 Yukon Denali...no aftermarket mods...6.2...6L80e transmission) The transmission company recommends a Service Fast Learn Adapt procedure be completed. I cannot find this option ANYWHERE in my Tech2? I followed the process, let the transmission get to >158 degrees, did the 3 cycles of Park - Reverse...yada yada.

-Diagnostics
-TCM

I went to the F5 option (where I had read other makes/models had gone to get their Fast Learn Adapt option), but all I see is Reset Transmission Oil. No option to perform a Fast Learn Adapt. Am I looking in the wrong spot? The transmission company says that not doing this will void the warranty. Ughh!

Can I get anyone with a 2007 Yukon Denali and a Tech2 to confirm that they can see that option? Is it just my Tech2? I am pretty sure the connection is fine as I was able to successfully reprogram the ECM/TCM. The Tech2 reports back the correct software IDs that were not there before I did the update. I can also perform other diagnostic checks and the Tech2 reads all the transmission values when I got into the sensor option (temp, line pressure, etc).

Side note, I had read in one forum something about GM going away from the Fast Learn Adapt on the Tech2...but I cannot confirm this. Wouldn't make sense to me...but I'm also not a GM tech!
Isn't that something they should've done? Not you??

MLRTYME

Reaction score
Isn't that something they should've done? Not you??
Yeah, I did one of those deals where they ship the transmission to me and I install. Saved me a truckload of money in comparison to what others wanted (including the labor). But, I need to do my homework and figure this out.

The reality is that I could say I did that procedure and they'd never know. But, I'd rather do it right, if at all possible.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Yeah, I did one of those deals where they ship the transmission to me and I install. Saved me a truckload of money in comparison to what others wanted (including the labor). But, I need to do my homework and figure this out.

The reality is that I could say I did that procedure and they'd never know. But, I'd rather do it right, if at all possible.
Are you sure they'd never know? If that's true F* it. I wonder if you pull the battery for awhile--where everything clears, if that would work. Where everything is in learning mode--and just drive it.

MLRTYME

Reaction score
Oh, and a report back on the Cold Case radiator that I purchased. I like it. Now, i've installed these larger aluminum radiators before and I know they need work. The upper corners of the radiator do not clear the factory support, but I anticipated this. I took a Dremel and removed 1/4" of the 'bracket' on the driver's side and filed down the very corner of the bracket on the passenger side. The bottom 'mounts' where the rubber bushings sit are smaller than stock...so it allowed for a little play left to right. The radiator does not accept the stock GM transmission line connectors to screw into the radiator tank, but they supply their own and they seem to work fine. No leaks at all with my stock lines.

Also, since the radiator is substantially wider at the core than the stock radiator, I had to trim 3/16" off the lips that run across the bottom and top sections of the core of the radiator for the fans. Doing that allowed me to keep the stock fan rubber bushings that mount to the bottom of the radiator support and bolt the top using the stock bushings. There was one plastic 'tab/clip' pushthrough on the driver-side of the upper radiator section that made contact with the tank on that side. I also filed down about 1/8" of that.

I can vouch that it works. I had to leave the truck running in an enclosed garage in PHX (granted, the sun was down and it was only 94 outside) to get the transmission hot enough to try the Fast Learn Adapt. It took 11 min of idling in the garage to finally get the transmission to 158.

If you're wanting to go full aluminum to get away from the cracking plastic, and don't mind a little custom work to fit, I think it's good for the price you pay.

Last edited:

MLRTYME

Reaction score
Are you sure they'd never know? If that's true F* it. I wonder if you pull the battery for awhile--where everything clears, if that would work. Where everything is in learning mode--and just drive it.
Yup, tempted to do that. As I mentioned before, one of the forums I was looking through last night at around 1am said something about GM going away from that...and to drive it gingerly for about 50-60 miles in town...then the next 200 or so just normal, but no hammering the throttle hard. Let it learn, but don't push it too hard (ie, no drag racing the first 50 miles...)

I just figured I'd open it up to this forum to see if anyone with a 2007 Yukon Denali WAS able to successfully do that Fast Learn Adapt procedure. ...and if so, what was I missing. Couldn't hurt, right?

EDIT--- Here's where someone mentioned GM going away from this process on some vehicles: https://forum.hptuners.com/showthread.php?78950-6L80e-won-t-quot-Fast-Learn-quot

Last edited:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Yup, tempted to do that. As I mentioned before, one of the forums I was looking through last night at around 1am said something about GM going away from that...and to drive it gingerly for about 50-60 miles in town...then the next 200 or so just normal, but no hammering the throttle hard. Let it learn, but don't push it too hard (ie, no drag racing the first 50 miles...)

I just figured I'd open it up to this forum to see if anyone with a 2007 Yukon Denali WAS able to successfully do that Fast Learn Adapt procedure. ...and if so, what was I missing. Couldn't hurt, right?
Absolutely can't hurt. Give it some time, the pros will show up. @swathdiver
@kbuskill

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

-Diagnostics
-TCM

it's in there in another spot, you will just have to hunt around for it I have seen it before while poking around the tech2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Denali21