What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Runfor5

Reaction score
Dropped the '07 off for state inspection and I'm going to have them diagnose a popping/groning sound when I turn the steering wheel. It's coming from the driver's side front and is most pronounced when it's stationary but will also happen if I'm turning the steering wheel when it's rolling slowly, like backing out of the driveway. I'm betting lower ball joint or outer tie rod end but it'll be easy for them to diagnose either on the ground or up on the rack, and we'll go from there.
I always get nervous for the annual inspection with every vehicle; must be trauma from my older stuff. Like, what are they gonna find, can I fix it, and how much of the upcoming weekend is about to be lost haha

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dropped the '07 off for state inspection and I'm going to have them diagnose a popping/groning sound when I turn the steering wheel. It's coming from the driver's side front and is most pronounced when it's stationary but will also happen if I'm turning the steering wheel when it's rolling slowly, like backing out of the driveway. I'm betting lower ball joint or outer tie rod end but it'll be easy for them to diagnose either on the ground or up on the rack, and we'll go from there.

I had no idea there was state inspections that you had to drop your car off and they look for problems.

wow.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always get nervous for the annual inspection with every vehicle; must be trauma from my older stuff. Like, what are they gonna find, can I fix it, and how much of the upcoming weekend is about to be lost haha
The key is to find an honest shop. I usually pregame it also by asking them to do some service I don’t feel like doing, such as a brake fluid flush, so they know they’re going to get some revenue anyway and don’t need to make something up. They also know that they can’t ******** me since I know every inch of all 3 of our cars.

Runfor5

Reaction score
The key is to find an honest shop. I usually pregame it also by asking them to do some service I don’t feel like doing, such as a brake fluid flush, so they know they’re going to get some revenue anyway and don’t need to make something up. They also know that they can’t ******** me since I know every inch of all 3 of our cars.
Not a bad idea. I had this backfire on me once with a Jeep we use to have though... I couldn't get a rear rotor off due to rust, so asked them (like a formal shop chain not a gas station place) to remove it at the same time as my inspection. They claimed my parking brake got 'messed up' from their rotor removal and wanted $800 to change parking brake shoes + hardware. And yup, they failed my inspection because of that haha.

On the bright side, I learned how to do parking brake shoes for the first time because of this! Then went elsewhere of course for the re-inspection.

Fubar0715

Scott
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My FIL is a retired slope worker out in Prudhoe Bay....Tells stories of windchills in the -70s for days on end. They could never turn off any of the vehicles or equipment..Will take F that for $100 Alex!!

the couple of times I have considered going there once for the con-agra job and researching oil jobs it became a hard no, I like mild weather the cold I can probably deal with somewhat but that wind chill is a no way. I worked one summer up in Alaska which was not bad at all for Salmon season, they wanted me to come back for crab season in the winter that was a hard pass also especially after the boat had caught fire and we were almost going to abandon ship and heard them telling story's of how the end of the ship broke off the previous winter. kind of makes you think twice especially when both inudustries are dangerous already

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My FIL is a retired slope worker out in Prudhoe Bay....Tells stories of windchills in the -70s for days on end. They could never turn off any of the vehicles or equipment..Will take F that for $100 Alex!!
I did some field work on the Yukon River, north of Fairbanks early in my career. Winter ops in many ways is easier than summer ops up there. In the summer, the permafrost melts to about 15" down and everything turns to mud so the rigs have to sit until the ground freezes again.

Perfect breeding ground for mosquitos, too. Terrifying stat: the biomass of mosquitos in northern Alaska outweighs the biomass of the caribou. If you've ever experienced Alaska mosquitos, you can easily understand why the insects will eventually inherit the earth once the humans have had our day.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did some field work on the Yukon River, north of Fairbanks early in my career. Winter ops in many ways is easier than summer ops up there. In the summer, the permafrost melts to about 15" down and everything turns to mud so the rigs have to sit until the ground freezes again.

Perfect breeding ground for mosquitos, too. Terrifying stat: the biomass of mosquitos in northern Alaska outweighs the biomass of the caribou. If you've ever experienced Alaska mosquitos, you can easily understand why the insects will eventually inherit the earth once the humans have had our day.
the most skeeters i ever saw was around Klamath Falls in Oregon in the summer, went on a 50 mile hiking trip and there are many small lakes, ponds, and just a lot of water. you couldn't see thru them there were so many, really undescribable

Fubar0715

Scott
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mosquito is the Alaska state bird! You would think rocks and road debris is the leading cause of cracked windshields - swarms of skeeters cracks them!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ericbath

Latest posts