What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
i'm thinking I may just bite the bullet and buy a mechman there 320amp says it does 200amps at idle (hot) I may have to run a slightly smaller belt, but my conclusions are I need more amps at idle otherwise it's going to be draining the battery, amp calculator say's I need 245amps (with everything going)

I am slightly confused... how did you come up with 245 amps needed???

Reaction score
How long you plan on idling with everything on?

I know mine idles at like 535 rpm or so. The alternator you have now, what does it put out at different rpms? Like what's it put out at 550, 750, 900 rpm? Maybe it'd be easier just to raise your idle a few hundred rpm to get the charge you need?

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How long you plan on idling with everything on?

I know mine idles at like 535 rpm or so. The alternator you have now, what does it put out at different rpms? Like what's it put out at 550, 750, 900 rpm? Maybe it'd be easier just to raise your idle a few hundred rpm to get the charge you need?

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18
I’ve always wondered if that would affect fuel mileage.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
talked to a guy at quality power he said I can do a external regulator but.....there is no way around the "service charging system" message, so that would have to be programmed out of the bcm or I can run a alternator that puts out the "amps" needed at idle so it's not draining the battery, they sell a $435.00 250amp alternator that gives 160amps at idle or a $530.00 320amp that gives 180amps at idle, ouch....
i like mine it gives me 185 amps at idle 600rpm

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve always wondered if that would affect fuel mileage.

By that wording, the short answer is 'no'.
When idling, you're achieving no mileage per unit of fuel burnt. Can't get any worse than 0 miles per gallon. A higher idle results in more consumption, but not worse mileage. I don't know what the proper terminology for idle consumption would be. Hours per gallon?

Miles per tank will be affected, so if you calculated your fuel mileage by the tank as most everyone and everything does, then you'd see a lower MPG but that would be averaging in the fuel burnt at idle.

...Yeah, that was an over-complicated and almost contradicting reply, depending on how literal you wanna get. You're welcome.

...Wait- what was the question, again?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By that wording, the short answer is 'no'.
When idling, you're achieving no mileage per unit of fuel burnt. Can't get any worse than 0 miles per gallon. A higher idle results in more consumption, but not worse mileage. I don't know what the proper terminology for idle consumption would be. Hours per gallon?

Miles per tank will be affected, so if you calculated your fuel mileage by the tank as most everyone and everything does, then you'd see a lower MPG but that would be averaging in the fuel burnt at idle.

...Yeah, that was an over-complicated and almost contradicting reply, depending on how literal you wanna get. You're welcome.

...Wait- what was the question, again?
I don’t trust the vehicles calculation since that’s never been what I actually see. I divide the miles travelled by the gallons between fill-ups. That’s what I consider MPG.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buckeyeglazier