What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the_tool_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the battery in mine today. I've noticed it getting a bit sluggish starting. I've also started experiencing false anti-theft warning beeps when I shut it off, which leads me to suspect low battery voltage. I'm a procrastinator by nature. But over the years I've developed a sixth sense about these things. So I stopped by the parts store to have them test it and the alternator. Sure enough, when the guy asked me to start it...click...dead. Perfect timing. Alternator tested good.

I'm curious to see if my flickering headlights are also cured. We'll see. If not, I'll clean the grounds next.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Gloves! Even my girls turn their noses up to gloves, we use shop towels! Scattered all over the place, soaked through in the pan... LOL

The sealed oil drain tray was put on top of a cooler as we were going to drain it the next day. Well, our neighborhood racoon, used it as a step to get on top of the garbage and knocked it over and spilled 16 quarts of oil down the driveway! Good thing we had 40 pounds of "oil dry" on hand to clean that mess up. His days are numbered now, no more grace! Daniel Boone, I'm going to have a new hat soon!

X2

There are plenty of great reasons for buying a $50 drain plug. I particularly like the tool-less oil change and being able to drain directly to the jug you transport it in benefits. I'm actually a little bummed that it's not sensible for me to join the bandwagon. I change the oil in my Tahoe once, maybe twice a year so it's not a priority.

However, I'd happily drop $50 on a solution for changing the oil filter with no dripping involved. My current method is crack it loose then wrap it in a couple plastic grocery bags before removing it. It's almost a 100% clean method. Really, as long as I let mine drain for, I could just pop a hole in the bottom of it and drain it before removal. Maybe I'll start doing that.

Oh, @Galante , the thicker (6 mil?) nitrile gloves from Harbor Freight really impressed me. I used maybe 4-6 pairs for an engine removal, internal scrubbing and reinstallation. They survived lots of sharp points, scrubs, wire brushing, etc.

I guess I'm just a kid that likes to get dirty. Agree on the harbor freight gloves. Every once in a while, Menards will have them super cheap or even free after rebate. I use them for some things, just not oil changes.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the battery in mine today. I've noticed it getting a bit sluggish starting. I've also started experiencing false anti-theft warning beeps when I shut it off, which leads me to suspect low battery voltage. I'm a procrastinator by nature. But over the years I've developed a sixth sense about these things. So I stopped by the parts store to have them test it and the alternator. Sure enough, when the guy asked me to start it...click...dead. Perfect timing. Alternator tested good.

I'm curious to see if my flickering headlights are also cured. We'll see. If not, I'll clean the grounds next.
my gets those random

So that means my battery is dead or dieing ? :(

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What did we do to our NNBS today? Drove it! 2WD on the highway into 4LO in the soft sand on Daytona Beach and 4HI running through the surf at high tide. Fun stuff!

Still averaged 14 mpg on that tank, 5 hours idling, over 40 miles of 4WD operation at 10mph or less, love this truck.
it's only like 1/2 gallon an hour idling i don't see how you get 14mpg with 5 hours idling

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
heres a pic of the dirty filter

it has about 20,000 miles on it just a guess I will just change it every 10k miles from now on so it's not due tell 100,000 miles (when I get the 100,000 miles service done)

20190613_154323.jpg

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm just a kid that likes to get dirty. Agree on the harbor freight gloves. Every once in a while, Menards will have them super cheap or even free after rebate. I use them for some things, just not oil changes.

I'm not afraid of getting my hands dirty and I often do cuz I never think about gloves. But not having to scrub and dig under my fingernails all the time is a huge convenience.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally, after almost 4 weeks, I finished the mirrors. I decided not to paint the bottoms/arms. For one, I had enough just sanding the texture off the caps. And two, I think the arms being glossy would clash with the window sweeps and they'd stand out too much.

Snapped 'em back together, cleaned and waxed 'em twice. Had to include the color-keyed handle in the frame:

IMG_3412.JPG

Close enough for my liking. They'd match better if I cleaned and waxed this dirty heap.

IMG_3414.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700