What did you do to your NBS GMT800 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove it 30 miles round trip to have lunch with my dad. When I got back, left it running in the garage to go grab an Android device and load Torque up to check my LTFT's.

While connecting everything, I heard the fans kick on (ac was off) so that means the programming works! Wahoo!

Now to determine if it's worth the spend to pick up a set of K5L fans/shroud. Hrmm....
I personally wouldn't worry about getting K5L fans. I swapped my 2001 over to E-fans in 2010 or 2011 and they have worked fine ever since. These sweltering Louisiana summers can be pretty brutal, and the fans have kept my truck cool for well over 10 years now.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the upgrade alternator I got from Pick a Part last year took a **** on me. I've been seeing my Voltage gauge bounce lately and my scanner was reading spikes over 15 volts the last few days. I already assumed bad Voltage Regulator, but I removed the plastic end cap to look and found a part of the rectifier broken. I think I may do a rebuild kit on it in my spare time. Never done one before but I'm pretty sure I can tackle it
New one I had to buy:
View attachment 390403

Old one with cap removed (broken piece inside yellow circle)
View attachment 390404

Shortly after I did my Electric Fan swap I snagged a 145a alternator off of a 04 Denali at my local U-Pull-It yard. I initially just bought it more so of an experiment to see if the extra 15 amps would help with the electric fans. I also bought a smaller pulley off eBay to get the alt spinning a bit faster at idle to hopefully bump up the output a bit more. My plan was mainly to see if it was a big enough improvement then I would actually buy a new 145a alt, otherwise I would search for an alt with even higher amperage. To make a long story short, that junkyard alternator has been on my truck for at least 10 years now with ZERO issues. This was an OEM alternator though, I'm thinking a basic parts store replacement alternator would have shit the bed a long time ago.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking of volts, mine seems low based on the gauge but the guy that rebuilt my cluster didn’t get the needles entirely accurate. Both Torque and my volt meter on the battery idling in the garage show about 13.5V on my 145a. Is this low or am I worrying for naught? Edit: 2004 so no RVC.

Have a Mechman 240 and a shorter belt in my cart.

Last edited:

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally wouldn't worry about getting K5L fans. I swapped my 2001 over to E-fans in 2010 or 2011 and they have worked fine ever since. These sweltering Louisiana summers can be pretty brutal, and the fans have kept my truck cool for well over 10 years now.
I did find the K5L for about $125 locally though. Hrmmm. FOMO might hit!

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Treated her to a new Group 78 battery since the old one (Group 75 from early 2017) was spanked. Partly my fault since I let her sit too long without exercise or "tender" attention. It didn't help that the old battery went through all the drain cycles back when I diagnosed the parasitic draw. It doesn't help that my work doesn't require daily, sometimes weekly, travel. Good to go now and determined to give her more attention.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My neighbor is having misfire issues on his LS swapped S10 and of course that engine is crammed in there and has headers. He keeps having issues with (among other things lol) plug wires failing from the heat so I gave him that link to the TSP plug wires that @Sam Harris mentioned a few days ago.

But then I noticed those don’t have the heat shield like the ones I use do, so I finally found the link to the EBay ones I’m running, if anyone is interested.

Electrician

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove it 30 miles round trip to have lunch with my dad. When I got back, left it running in the garage to go grab an Android device and load Torque up to check my LTFT's.

While connecting everything, I heard the fans kick on (ac was off) so that means the programming works! Wahoo!

Now to determine if it's worth the spend to pick up a set of K5L fans/shroud. Hrmm....
What it this you speaketh of? The Torque app?

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Resurrected her once again, replaced a bad front brake caliper, mounted 33x12.50s, and cleaned her up. Still got some other things to do, like finish replacing body work, and get the paint fixed most noticeably.View attachment 390711View attachment 390712
Did you have to do fenders too when you added the HD stuff? I assume you would have, based on the shape of the front fender edge where it meets the lights/grille... Looks mean! Nice wheels too!

jarydM

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Yeah, fenders are different. Those and the headlights are anything with “cat-eyes” including the avalanche, so easier to find than the hood. Bumper is still wrong, need the HD Silverado one, to color match and mount.

Thanks, I really like the look of it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094