What did you do to your NBS GMT800 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
$500-$600? Aren't these things just stock GenIV intakes? I've seen complete take-off NNBS manifolds for as little as $40 here. Average is $100-$150. Sure, you might need a particular TB, but that's a salvage yard part, too. Injectors rarely go bad and just get dirty at worst. If you wanna start fresh, a cleaning/refurbing service is $200 or less and they'll be like new with a printout of their test results.
I think the TBSS intakes are hard to find used, at least they were when I was looking.

blueinkd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$500-$600? Aren't these things just stock GenIV intakes? I've seen complete take-off NNBS manifolds for as little as $40 here. Average is $100-$150. Sure, you might need a particular TB, but that's a salvage yard part, too. Injectors rarely go bad and just get dirty at worst. If you wanna start fresh, a cleaning/refurbing service is $200 or less and they'll be like new with a printout of their test results.
Well....that's where I'm missing something. I don't know anything about the swap except for its reference as the tbss intake swap. I'm not fond of used parts or paying for them. I'm considering the cost of new replacement parts.

When you say nnbs manifolds @ 40. Will these swap into my 05 and offer some gains??

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also don't think it's worth the $500-600 in these items for the 10-15 rwhp it will offer me. Unless I'm seeing it all wrong.
I installed the TBSS manifold this past year on my 2002 Tahoe. I was planning on installing as part of my 6.0L build, but installed it early. Love it. Good information in my build thread.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well....that's where I'm missing something. I don't know anything about the swap except for its reference as the tbss intake swap. I'm not fond of used parts or paying for them. I'm considering the cost of new replacement parts.

When you say nnbs manifolds @ 40. Will these swap into my 05 and offer some gains??
The TBSS & NNBS intakes are the same. I bought mine NIB, from fleaBay, and paid $180 or so. (As it still sits in its box..) :okay2:

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I reused my injectors - just need to ensure you get the right fuel rails. You can use your old throttle body but will need an adapter plate. All kinds of good information on how to do this on a limited budget out there. I did a significant amount of research to get this right. There is even a thread under the "Performance" section.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I need to do this as well. Thanks for being the guinea pig.. or have you seen good reviews of these elsewhere?

I did, but it's been a while so I'm not sure where. I see somewhat less expensive pairs but wanted to go with a familiar brand; I think I used Strong Arm on my '83 Plymouth Turismo that had the heavier hatchback with the spoiler and louvers, and they worked fine on that. My first brand new car, shown in the Land of Lincoln right before I moved to Colorado. 2.2L 5 speed manual.

1983 Plymouth Turismo cropped.jpg

For the Hoe I used #4557 for the liftgate. A few months back I changed the glass struts with #4185.

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the TBSS intakes are hard to find used, at least they were when I was looking.

Intake manifolds from an actual TBSS, sure. But, you can get the same thing from a Gen4 4.8/5.3 engine, and likely at a much lower cost because it doesn't have that "TBSS" notoriety attached to it.

I meant used take-offs at those prices I listed. If you only buy new, then disregard my post. But, to directly answer your question- Yes. Swapping on a standard GenIV ("NNBS") intake manifold from a 4.8 or 5.3 (6.0 and 6.2 use rectangular port heads and manifold) is the same as swapping on an intake manifold from an actual TBSS. You can look at it as GM making the TBSS the standard IM for the GenIV engines. It's kinda like how they made the compression ration and cam specs (minus the AFM lobes) in the LMG (GenIV) the same as the famed L33 (GenIII). There are minor differences you'd have to account for such as the combination of correct fuel rails for the injectors you're running and there was a minor change in the '09+ manifolds for a vacuum port.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I reused my injectors - just need to ensure you get the right fuel rails. You can use your old throttle body but will need an adapter plate. All kinds of good information on how to do this on a limited budget out there. I did a significant amount of research to get this right. There is even a thread under the "Performance" section.

I thought it was you that did the conversion recently. I started digging through your thread and was like, "Oh, it wasn't him. He's still building his engine" and moved on to dig elsewhere, thinking it was a guy in Florida.

Out of all the used car parts one could buy, the intake manifold and injectors are among the safest. The manifold isn't a wear item and injectors rarely fail short of super high mileage.

blueinkd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Intake manifolds from an actual TBSS, sure. But, you can get the same thing from a Gen4 4.8/5.3 engine, and likely at a much lower cost because it doesn't have that "TBSS" notoriety attached to it.

I meant used take-offs at those prices I listed. If you only buy new, then disregard my post. But, to directly answer your question- Yes. Swapping on a standard GenIV ("NNBS") intake manifold from a 4.8 or 5.3 (6.0 and 6.2 use rectangular port heads and manifold) is the same as swapping on an intake manifold from an actual TBSS. You can look at it as GM making the TBSS the standard IM for the GenIV engines. It's kinda like how they made the compression ration and cam specs (minus the AFM lobes) in the LMG (GenIV) the same as the famed L33 (GenIII). There are minor differences you'd have to account for such as the combination of correct fuel rails for the injectors you're running and there was a minor change in the '09+ manifolds for a vacuum port.
Thank you for clearing this up. I keep my eyes peeled for a deal on some low mileage injectors and TB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar