What did you do to your NBS GMT800 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeremiahm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The garage door opener in my old house (was "newer") would not receive the remote commands with LED bulbs. Standard bulbs it work fine. Frequency issue I am sure, and never tried with different LED's. Just a PSA, not sure how many openers would run into this, but don't want anyone banging their head on a wall for no reason.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd like to find a hack that would allow one to extend/relocate the GDO antenna to a flat antenna above the door, on the outside of the garage. Steel or aluminum doors can shield the opener's signal. I suppose if you have one of the wifi GDOs you could open it with the phone app, but that's kind of a hassle when you're pulling up to it.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, it's been the past couple of days, but I've done a lot. I bought all of a guy's parts who used to rebuild GMT800s. I am slowly getting them out of his storage. That said, I have an 80% complete Yukon XL 2500, a 90% complete Suburban 250, an escalade body on frame, a Suburban 1500 body (no frame, but 80% of the interior is there), and the cab of a crew cab pickup. On top of that, I have several transfer cases, interior door panels, etc. Once I get everything moved, I'll clean it up, catalog it, and put it up for sale. Please wish me luck. My wife is about to panic...
Dibs!

I'm just up the road and depending on what you got, might take some off your hands.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The garage door opener in my old house (was "newer") would not receive the remote commands with LED bulbs. Standard bulbs it work fine. Frequency issue I am sure, and never tried with different LED's. Just a PSA, not sure how many openers would run into this, but don't want anyone banging their head on a wall for no reason.
I got LED bulbs designed for the opener, for that reason.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd like to find a hack that would allow one to extend/relocate the GDO antenna to a flat antenna above the door, on the outside of the garage. Steel or aluminum doors can shield the opener's signal. I suppose if you have one of the wifi GDOs you could open it with the phone app, but that's kind of a hassle when you're pulling up to it.

"Alexa, open the garage" No hassle at all! :Big Laugh:

We had so many customers just splice a wire to the antenna and stick it out the door. Most times, it greatly reduced the remote range.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Interesting! Never heard of this, but, yeah- something to beware of. I wonder if it's a smart bulb vs. regular LED thing?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will find bulbs labeled for garage door openers.

LEDs designed to not interfere with remote reception? The ones "back then" were labeled as "rough service". Some brands labeled them specifically for garage door operator use to charge more. But, they were just regular rough service bulbs, designed to better withstand vibrations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia