What did you do to your NBS GMT800 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like i got bit by the bug...

View attachment 236368
Forgive me for my ignorance but I cannot for the life of me figure why someone spends good money on aftermarket keys and tools. If you only want a mild lift like a level you can accomplish that with stock keys generally. If you want more than 1.5" your ride suffers (no droop). Similar work and cost can get you lift spindles which can offer a much better ride. Why not spindles?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgive me for my ignorance but I cannot for the life of me figure why someone spends good money on aftermarket keys and tools. If you only want a mild lift like a level you can accomplish that with stock keys generally. If you want more than 1.5" your ride suffers (no droop). Similar work and cost can get you lift spindles which can offer a much better ride. Why not spindles?

It's not ignorance. You're correct about the keys and lifting results and the tool could be borrowed for free from O'Reilly or Autozone. Such a lift should cost nothing but time with a jack and an 18mm (or is it 19mm?) wrench or socket.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe he doesn’t know any better? Also, keys are a cheap alternative to spindles which also results in the ride quality you pay for. There’s plenty of companies out there taking advantage of customers who don’t realize that their ride will be shit even though these cheap alternatives are advertised to raise or lower the front by 3” for $50.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe he doesn’t know any better? Also, keys are a cheap alternative to spindles which also results in the ride quality you pay for. There’s plenty of companies out there taking advantage of customers who don’t realize that their ride will be shit even though these cheap alternatives are advertised to raise or lower the front by 3” for $50.
Ah, so I am not crazy. Lift keys and lowering keys same thing right? Shit ride. I've done like 1" in either direction on stock keys on different trucks and thats not so bad, but if you want more... aftermarket keys are fine if you dont mind shit angles and shit ride I guess.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah, so I am not crazy. Lift keys and lowering keys same thing right? Shit ride. I've done like 1" in either direction on stock keys on different trucks and thats not so bad, but if you want more... aftermarket keys are fine if you dont mind shit angles and shit ride I guess.
That’s true. These companies don’t mention the fact your truck will ride like shit or they wouldn’t have much success selling the keys.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s true. These companies don’t mention the fact your truck will ride like shit or they wouldn’t have much success selling the keys.
I feel like there should be a sticky with this type of advice. And more members should be vocal about this.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel like there should be a sticky with this type of advice. And more members should be vocal about this.
I think it just goes back to one of the rules of life- you get what you pay for, at least for the most part. There’s the right way to do stuff which usually requires either more money or time or both, or the easy way which is cheaper and faster. The easy way might get a similar result but it either doesn’t last long or the quality suffers, or usually both.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok so for the front keys.. I bought some aftermarket keys, thinking that they would offer a higher starting point before having to crank up the torsion bars. Is that incorrect? I’m not looking for anything but maybe 2”, to level with the rear. I also will be installing Bilstein 5100’s as I think my front shocks could use a refresh. Are you saying it’s pointless to install the aftermarket keys, and it will ride like shit either way..? Is the only point of the aftermarket keys, to allow more lift from cranking the torsion bars ?

And obviously I’m ignorant, please indulge me.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so for the front keys.. I bought some aftermarket keys, thinking that they would offer a higher starting point before having to crank up the torsion bars. Is that incorrect? I’m not looking for anything but maybe 2”, to level with the rear. I also will be installing Bilstein 5100’s as I think my front shocks could use a refresh. Are you saying it’s pointless to install the aftermarket keys, and it will ride like shit either way..? Is the only point of the aftermarket keys, to allow more lift from cranking the torsion bars?

And obviously I’m ignorant, please indulge me.
Keys dont correct geometry. They just allow you to go further out of spec than possible with stock keys. The further out of spec you go up with keys the less downward travel (droop) your suspension has and you eventually run out of alignment. If you have worn AF tbars i could maybe see some value there but you are really better served replacing the tbars at that point. If you want to go further than stock keys just get lift spindles imho.

If you just want a level your stock keys will likely get you there or damn close.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts