~ Water leak - Now gone, no overheat ~ Need input

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nimrod.sixty9

Hold on, I got this.
Reaction score
Girl calls from work and says water is dripping from underneath truck. I get there and see a steady drip coming from behind the crank pulley. Cant really tell where its coming from; what I can see from the hoses, I have to assume water pump. So we added water, which it didnt take much, and drove home (about 10 miles).

It ran great, no overheating, didnt even rise above its normal operating range. Now that we have it home, its no longer leaking. Any idea why this would happen? Yes it still has water.

Would you guys think its the pump or something else?

Ive got the upper part of the shroud out, but am a little confused on how to proceed. I have a crescent wrench on the bolt that I believe to have holding on the fan. I am unsure how to take it off and Im wondering if it is reverse thread. Either way, it just keeps spinning the pulley. Any recommendations on how to get this off?

Last edited:

kaoticlife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If memory serves me correctly it is reverse thread and it took a good smack with a hammer on a big crescent for mine to come off and I used a strap wrench to keep it from spinning. As far as your drip/leak its weird that it just went away.

sent from tapatalk2 using rabbit ears and aluminum foil.

OP
OP
nimrod.sixty9

nimrod.sixty9

Hold on, I got this.
Reaction score
If memory serves me correctly it is reverse thread and it took a good smack with a hammer on a big crescent for mine to come off and I used a strap wrench to keep it from spinning. As far as your drip/leak its weird that it just went away.

Unfortunately I don't have a strap wrench. Never occurred to me that I would need it. All other small blocks I worked on I didn't have an issue.

Anyway, looking at the new pump, its does indeed look to be reverse. I need something to compare to, side by side, to verify. Just got to find a way to get it from moving while I can get in there with the mallet; not sure if I can cause the wrench is only so long.

Still wondering if Im going about this the right way. I mean coming from the back of the crank pulley would make one properly assume its the pump, right?

Maybe when I get it all apart Ill be able to tell without a doubt. At least that's what Im hoping for.

When I get done with this, it'll be another writeup :)

Tricky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your local parts store should have a clutch fan removal tool to rent.

Sent from E.T's Phone using Tapatalk.

kaoticlife

Full Access Member
Reaction score

They do have them for rent but watch out cuz the two I rented from autozone did not fit! Maybe there is another out the but they had nothing for me.

OP
OP
nimrod.sixty9

nimrod.sixty9

Hold on, I got this.
Reaction score

Thank you sir, never knew about these.

Seeing how they work maybe I have something laying around that could help me accomplish the same thing.

c086dd460d35dd79c00f.jpg

Ill see what Advance and Vatozone has; not to far from each other. Hopefully they have something that will fit. Assuming I dont have anything that will work.

May be a good time to convert to an E-fan. I do have a Taurus fan laying around; just dont have any of the other stuff, nor the know how.

Can anyone chime in on the leak? Am I going about this the right way?

Last edited:

Tricky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out some of the YouTube threads on the pump removal.

OP
OP
nimrod.sixty9

nimrod.sixty9

Hold on, I got this.
Reaction score
Check out some of the YouTube threads on the pump removal.

Found this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMbvc6WO2Xw&feature=related

Havent finished watching yet...

Looks like it is not reverse, and was able to break loose the nut with a shock hit. Used the belt to keep tension. May be Ill be able to break loose with a quick hit; at least I know what direction it goes now.

Ill update in a few, gotta wait for the swarm of mosquitoes to die down.

clownracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the waterpumps built with a little hole in it that starts leaking before it fails completly my guess it was that

OP
OP
nimrod.sixty9

nimrod.sixty9

Hold on, I got this.
Reaction score
the waterpumps built with a little hole in it that starts leaking before it fails completly my guess it was that

Right, exactly what I was thinking. That or the gasket(s), still dont have it off to inspect.

I took a torch to the nut and it still wouldnt budge. Heated it up, had a wrench in for leverage, and nailed the crescent wrench with a mallet. No avail.

Went to Harbor Fright last night and picked up a bar made to hold or turn crack pulleys and the like. Ill start with trying to hold the crank in place (belt wasnt slipping, I was turning the whole motor and assembly). If the belt slips, I think I can modify the tool to make it work like that of the clutch fan removal tool (HF didnt stock one).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n