Water in Passenger floorboard

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
In my 1996 Tahoe that I am working on I have noticed that the passenger footwell is always soaked with water. I cleaned out the drain at the fire wall and I haven’t noticed any water leaking. Any ideas what could cause this? Bad door seal perhaps?

Attachments

• D1BE9509-321D-4DF6-A878-5FCAE9DEE89B.jpeg
    D1BE9509-321D-4DF6-A878-5FCAE9DEE89B.jpeg
    489.5 KB · Views: 5

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's not the heater core leaking, then my assumption is a body seam that or grommet location. Have you looked down the grilles between the windshield and hood to see if it's packed full of leaves or stuff?

If nothing obvious sticks out, then you may want to remove the passenger seat so you can pull the carper back from that area and have someone run a hose in a methodical pattern and see if you can trace the leak from the inside to the outside.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Read through this thread for similar issues:

OP
OP
C
Reaction score
I went outside and cleaned out the cowl. There was some debris present so hopefully that was the issue. I have it airing out right now. I’m pretty sure the heater core has been replaced in the last few years. I would just think if it was coming from the firewall you could follow the moisture down the carpet. Everything above the area pictured is dry as a bone.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The usual suspects are a cowl vent screw, antenna grommet or the wire loom boot that goes to the door. Pull the side kick panel and put some water on it to see if it’s leaking past that boot.

One of the screws that holds the black cowl vent panel down goes in right above the blower. Pull the blower, stick a mirror in and you’ll see it. They’re just self-tapping screws, goop it with RTV and that usually does the trick.

The antenna passes through the passenger firewall and has a rubber grommet. Mine has leaked there before.

Also, there is painted body seam filler in the area near the hood hinge where the windshield meets. It cracks over time, either coat it with something like flex seal or flowable silicone to seal those up.

Hoesgottaeat2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No mistaking if it was the heater core. The sweet smell of antifreeze is pretty distinct.

Sounds like folks got you on the right track for tracing down the source of that cab leak.

YukonGTmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exact thing was happening to me. Read this:

OP
OP
C
Reaction score
The usual suspects are a cowl vent screw, antenna grommet or the wire loom boot that goes to the door. Pull the side kick panel and put some water on it to see if it’s leaking past that boot.

One of the screws that holds the black cowl vent panel down goes in right above the blower. Pull the blower, stick a mirror in and you’ll see it. They’re just self-tapping screws, goop it with RTV and that usually does the trick.

The antenna passes through the passenger firewall and has a rubber grommet. Mine has leaked there before.

Also, there is painted body seam filler in the area near the hood hinge where the windshield meets. It cracks over time, either coat it with something like flex seal or flowable silicone to seal those up.
Great suggestions. Thank you

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes cowl vent screw is common leakage area.
For the future if anyone is chasing a water leak. Once you strip out all of the wet stuff to get it to dry remove all you can to gain access to the area where it leaks. Have someone in the vehicle with good lights. Use a rase watering wand on a hose and start at the bottom and slowly work your way up showering water on the vehicle. Don't go up too fast as sometimes it takes a minute for the water to work it's way in. By using a watering wand you simulate rain.

SgtPreston

Reaction score
I posted the earlier problem with my '94 Yukon and went through all the suggestions. What I eventually did was remove the cowling sections between the windshield and hood - cleaned the area well with alcohol - masked off the windshield, hood, fenders and any area that might end up with aerosol spray. Then I sprayed the area liberally with several coats of FLEXSEAL spray sealant. That eliminated my leak problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17