AC Control Panel fries out with puff of smoke

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bux

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Same Issue

WOW, I got on line for the very same issue. I also went through more than one control panel thinking it was no big deal. Now after two, and returning home due to the smell of electronic smoke, I thought I would check this out. Very glad I did. I will look for the same wire and see what I find. I also ordered a new switch hoping I do not need a nel panel AGAIN.

OP
OP
W

wahoo_wes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
yeah well make sure you read this entire thread! LOL, i went through MANY panels, and other parts, before i found that green wire was shorting out somewhere deep in the dash, anyway, its an easy fix. Good Luck!

---------- Post added at 03:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 PM ----------

remember to use butt connectors

---------- Post added at 03:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

test

My99Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah well make sure you read this entire thread! LOL, i went through MANY panels, and other parts, before i found that green wire was shorting out somewhere deep in the dash, anyway, its an easy fix. Good Luck!

---------- Post added at 03:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 PM ----------

remember to use butt connectors

---------- Post added at 03:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

test

Old thread but this seems to be a common issue. And it just happened to me a second time this weekend. Before I replace this unit which is only about one year old, give me some insight please into how you ran that wire between the PCM and the heater control module please.

My question is really about how you pulled the wire through and is the wiring harness super tight on the green wire? Can you cut on both ends, splice a wire at the PCM and simply pull the old wire at the control module through the dash until the new splice appears then re-splice at the wire ribbon? Sort of like fishing a heavy gauge wire through a hole by attaching to a coat hanger and thinner wire and pulling through when framing a house?

A few details would be great.

Also, can you repost the diagrams that SunlitComet posted for you? Those images are no longer available. Thanks!

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wahoo_wes hasn't been seen since 2011. Think he ghosted.

My99Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wahoo_wes hasn't been seen since 2011. Think he ghosted.

Yeah I saw the date of the thread but tagged SunlitComet so thought I could revive the thread since this seems to be a common issue.

I found a diagram for the PCM/VCM and I am not sure if he was talking about this in his thread. It seems like a hell of a chore to run a wire through that harness, if that is even the issue for my rig.

YukonGTmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started my truck up after a big snow, and the snow melted and ran down through a panel underneath the black defrost grill on the passenger side. If you pull that grill, you will see an oval panel that is siliconed at factory. If the seal cracks, your blower motor duct is directly underneath. My duct filled with water, and as soon as I turned on the fan, electrical smoke! I replaced the blower motor, but still had issues. I ordered the climate control panel from GM, and as I was replacing it, I notice the connector behind had absolutely melted itself. GM sells the connector harness, you just have to cut the old one, and butt splice. If you hear your fan making a squeaking noise, it is very likely moisture in the duct.

965697AD-6F17-4872-A478-B1851999334D.jpeg 3B5B7B3D-1C87-4E58-A4F0-DF0A48421EA5.jpeg 8862FC2D-C1FB-499A-9960-CA58BFA1D1AA.jpeg

tokedigital

Reaction score
So what you are saying is water is shorting the fan switch to the point of melting 3rd ac control

Attachments

• 20210721_142625.jpg
    20210721_142625.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 4

YukonGTmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Old thread but this seems to be a common issue. And it just happened to me a second time this weekend. Before I replace this unit which is only about one year old, give me some insight please into how you ran that wire between the PCM and the heater control module please.

My question is really about how you pulled the wire through and is the wiring harness super tight on the green wire? Can you cut on both ends, splice a wire at the PCM and simply pull the old wire at the control module through the dash until the new splice appears then re-splice at the wire ribbon? Sort of like fishing a heavy gauge wire through a hole by attaching to a coat hanger and thinner wire and pulling through when framing a house?

A few details would be great.

Also, can you repost the diagrams that SunlitComet posted for you? Those images are no longer available. Thanks!
So what you are saying is water is shorting the fan switch to the point of melting 3rd ac control
On mine the blower motor duct was filling with water. When the outside air temperature would drop, the fan would make a chirping, most likely from the tips of the blower motor turning through ice. The other weird thing was it would chirp if I turned left. After a large snow, it all melted, ran down into the duct, and when I turned the fan on, huge puff of electrical smoke. I replaced the blower motor, the heater control unit and harness. I then went in under the passenger side grill just outboard of the windshield wiper. There is an rectangular panel that sits just above the blower motor duct, that I siliconed and fixed the water leak. No more problems.

Last edited:

YukonGTmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just found this in another post in Exterior, of guys with wet carpet passenger side. This is a good photo of the leaking cover panel I was talking about.

Attachments

• E6AA35D5-6FF2-4AE6-8B34-B0537D369545.jpeg
    E6AA35D5-6FF2-4AE6-8B34-B0537D369545.jpeg
    125 KB · Views: 11
  • F3F72224-6597-4B81-B07B-E2BD2C8244EA.jpeg
    F3F72224-6597-4B81-B07B-E2BD2C8244EA.jpeg
    104 KB · Views: 11

tokedigital

Reaction score
Ok so had my ac working nice and cold with a new ac control and 2 hours later dead again. I know about the water issue but it was a nice sunny 90 degree day no rain and boom dead again. So if anyone has any clues why it stopped powering my ac clutch from ac power button. When I jump relay it works good. So as for now I ran a switch to the relay and I got my ac back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17