Water in edge protection of hatchback

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I open my hatchback on my 2006 Escalade after washing the car, or a downpour water runs out on the sides of the plastic cover on the hatchback. That one at the bottom. There must be more than a liter of water in it.

This cannot be good and is certainly not intended to be so. Or do I have the camping model with integrated shower? :Big Laugh:

Are there usually drain holes that can be cleared? My tailgate also has efflorescence at the bottom of the edge. Is that where it comes from?

Last edited:

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the year and model of your vehicle?

I don't see a pickup in your picture... Do you mean hatchback?

You shouldn't have any water in the hatchback, at least not that much. That's super weird. There's two weep holes at the bottom corners of the hatchback to drain. They have little rubber seals. Not sure if those are plugged?

OP
OP
nonickatall

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh I thougt you use the term tailgate. I am German and my
What is the year and model of your vehicle?

I don't see a pickup in your picture... Do you mean hatchback?

You shouldn't have any water in the hatchback, at least not that much. That's super weird. There's two weep holes at the bottom corners of the hatchback to drain. They have little rubber seals. Not sure if those are plugged?
My car is an Escalade from 2006, wich, how i learned now, has no tailgate, but a hatchback.

I thought a hatchback is called a tailgate. I'm German and my english is not so good...

My hatchback has a plastic cover on the lower end. On the side there is little distance between the metal and the plastic.

And when I open the hatchback after rain or washing my car, I think nearly one liter of water comes out of every side. That cannot be like it was, when the car was new, so I wonder where the water normally goes.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am having difficulty picturing the exact are of concern. Post a few photos, if you have the chance. Point out where water collects or pours out. That would be helpful. Thanks!

OP
OP
nonickatall

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am having difficulty picturing the exact are of concern. Post a few photos, if you have the chance. Point out where water collects or pours out. That would be helpful. Thanks!
You are right. I'm talking about the plastic below the Escalade Sign and on the side you see a wave and on the picture on the right side so to speak, above the wave the water comes out. So the water find's it way into the plastic cover, but can not drain.

And when I open my hatchback, it comes out of the side....

OP
OP
nonickatall

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Next try

Attachments

• 20230107_184459.JPG
    20230107_184459.JPG
    194.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 20230107_183924.JPG
    20230107_183924.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 16

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe the water coming out is normal?

I was told by a great body repair guy, that the biggest problems come from people trying their hardest to seal water out completely. That is because of all the additional measures they put in place to seal water out will ultimately trap water in! If water gets in and can't escape, then that is when rust and rot happens.

Bad things can happen when people glob beads of silicone or other sealers completely surrounding any seams on body panels or accessories.

When I had this shop add fiberglass steps to my pickup truck, I tried to get this guy to seal all around the step to keep everything out. He insisted they only seal the top, front and rear edges of the steps where they contact the rocker panel. He said you have to keep the bottom edge open, so if the seal on top does fail over time (which they do)... Any water getting in from the top will be allowed to escape out the unsealed bottom edge for the step. That made complete sense, so that is how he did it for me. I saw similar trucks with the same steps getting rusty rocker panels after 5 years. Mine lasted almost ten years and still looked good when I sold the truck.

So maybe having the water pour out the sides is a good thing and supposed be that way... Draining instead of trapping.

Last edited:

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That liftgate looks damaged, if I'm not imagining that. If that's true then there could be a tweaked or damaged seal or joint up higher, letting in water.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17