Water in edge protection of hatchback

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
nonickatall

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That liftgate looks damaged, if I'm not imagining that. If that's true then there could be a tweaked or damaged seal or joint up higher, letting in water.
No that is only a light reflection. The Liftgate is absolute ok.. I think it must be a closed Drain hole.. But i didnt find one yet..

Attachments

• 20221109_153543.jpg
    20221109_153543.jpg
    519 KB · Views: 5
OP
OP
nonickatall

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe the water coming out is normal?

I was told by a great body repair guy, that the biggest problems come from people trying their hardest to seal water out completely. That is because of all the additional measures they put in place to seal water out will ultimately trap water in! If water gets in and can't escape, then that is when rust and rot happens.

Bad things can happen when people glob beads of silicone or other sealers completely surrounding any seams on body panels or accessories.

When I had this shop add fiberglass steps to my pickup truck, I tried to get this guy to seal all around the step to keep everything out. He insisted they only seal the top, front and rear edges of the steps where they contact the rocker panel. He said you have to keep the bottom edge open, so if the seal on top does fail over time (which they do)... Any water getting in from the top will be allowed to escape out the unsealed bottom edge for the step. That made complete sense, so that is how he did it for me. I saw similar trucks with the same steps getting rusty rocker panels after 5 years. Mine lasted almost ten years and still looked good when I sold the truck.

So maybe having the water pour out the sides is a good thing and supposed be that way... Draining instead of trapping.
Yes you a right, that cover should never be be sealed completely because water always find his way in, but not out. Then you have corrosion.

But a panel like this should be sealed on top and open on botton, that water can come out in normal position, when the liftgate is closed. But my Water only comes out, when the liftgate in 90°, that means open.

When i wash the car, i see no water drain. But when I open the liftgate then minimum 1 Liter Water comes out on both sides, when ist fully open.

That's certainly not how the Cadillac was designed. There must be something wrong.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That liftgate looks damaged, if I'm not imagining that. If that's true then there could be a tweaked or damaged seal or joint up higher, letting in water.
Yeah... You might be right on the seal.
If I had to guess, I would think GM might have used something between the plastic trim and the metal hatch to possibly keep water out, but at a minimum prevent squeaks and rattles. Can't allow squeaks and rattles on the premium truck line...

Maybe, there is a 3M gasket or seal on that piece that has failed. See what Esky owners or maybe someone who has done body work on these that knows what to look for and how it should be.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree the bottom of the tailgate in the second photo looks like it’s not lined up properly, like maybe it was hit hard with something.

There’s never that much water draining out of my tailgate after a wash or heavy rain so there’s definitely a leaky seal somewhere.
Yeah... You might be right on the seal.
If I had to guess, I would think GM might have used something between the plastic trim and the metal hatch to possibly keep water out, but at a minimum prevent squeaks and rattles. Can't allow squeaks and rattles on the premium truck line...

Maybe, there is a 3M gasket or seal on that piece that has failed. See what Esky owners or maybe someone who has done body work on these that knows what to look for and how it should be.
I have a hatch glass and third tail light off a 2005 Escalade ESV. And you’re correct there’s a rubber gasket glued to the leading edge of the base that mounts the third tail light to the Escalade glass. That gasket is mounted at the very top of the plastic base and covers the top of the lift gate and glass where it meets the roof of the truck. I believe that’s what keeps the water out. Maybe the OP should check that gasket.

OP
OP
nonickatall

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree the bottom of the tailgate in the second photo looks like it’s not lined up properly, like maybe it was hit hard with something.

There’s never that much water draining out of my tailgate after a wash or heavy rain so there’s definitely a leaky seal somewhe.

I have a hatch glass and third tail light off a 2005 Escalade ESV. And you’re correct there’s a rubber gasket glued to the leading edge of the base that mounts the third tail light to the Escalade glass. That gasket is mounted at the very top of the plastic base and covers the top of the lift gate and glass where it meets the roof of the truck. I believe that’s what keeps the water out. Maybe the OP should check that gasket.
I don't think that there is something wrong with the structure of my Liftgate.

It has no deforming, but your text contents a very valuable hint.

Because my that third break light has a small crack and I am still looking for a good used one. So maybe it's worse that I thought.
Maybe the water comes in by the third Break light, run down inside of the hatchback and find it's way into the cover.

I think I will open up the inside cover of the hatchback next, to look whats inside of the hatchback.

Last edited:

willinnashville

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait, do you mean water is accumulating at the top near the center brake light or the bottom cladding that's near the bottom when closed? I thought you meant in the bottom cladding, which I think is attached with double sided tape.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait, do you mean water is accumulating at the top near the center brake light or the bottom cladding that's near the bottom when closed? I thought you meant in the bottom cladding, which I think is attached with double sided tape.
It sounds like water is leaking into the inner guts of the tail gate somewhere and then draining out when he opens it up.

willinnashville

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess that's where I'm confused. If it's coming out of the hole shown in the second picture he posted on page 1, that kinda looks like the water is trapped behind the Escalade cladding at the bottom of the hatch. If it's inside the actual hatch structure, that's way different

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess that's where I'm confused. If it's coming out of the hole shown in the second picture he posted on page 1, that kinda looks like the water is trapped behind the Escalade cladding at the bottom of the hatch. If it's inside the actual hatch structure, that's way different
Yeah a little confusing for sure. Hopefully OP will clarify. In the 10 years and the many NBS escalades I’ve detailed for my clients I’ve never seen water pool in the outer part of the lift gate in between the lower caddy cladding and gate itself. Especially not enough to drain out buckets and buckets of water when the lift gate is opened up. Lol. That doesn’t mean it’s not a possibility though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt