Sparkies No Beno

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
donjetman

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You use synthetic?
I don't know what the previous owner put in it? I just bought it from a used car lot 2 mths ago and it had a recent WallyWorld oil change sticker on the windshield. I WILL run synthetic.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know what the previous owner put in it? I just bought it from a used car lot 2 mths ago and it had a recent WallyWorld oil change sticker on the windshield. I WILL run synthetic.

I thought I recalled reading that you had just bought it before diving into all of this. At least all the plugs looked similar.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sold my stock Y pipe with cats for $150.

There was an OEM Y-pipe from a 2011 (?) Suburban on craigslist about a month ago. The guy replaced it because he couldn't get the rear O2 sensors out. He was asking $100 or best offer cuz he just wanted it gone. I thought for sure I could've sold the cats for more than that and made money on it. I would've made it a bolt-on catless OEM Y-pipe for my Tahoe then sold it's Y-pipe and/or cats and would've made a decent chunk to put towards long tubes. Or Christmas.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
There was an OEM Y-pipe from a 2011 (?) Suburban on craigslist about a month ago. The guy replaced it because he couldn't get the rear O2 sensors out. He was asking $100 or best offer cuz he just wanted it gone. I thought for sure I could've sold the cats for more than that and made money on it. I would've made it a bolt-on catless OEM Y-pipe for my Tahoe then sold it's Y-pipe and/or cats and would've made a decent chunk to put towards long tubes. Or Christmas.
Guess you didn't get it?

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
John, Yes I have a scope, but I'm not worried about it. I think whatever's in there will come out the exhaust sooner or later.

IMO it was broke. I was collecting 1 oz of oil for every 100 miles in the catch can I had installed not long ago. Maybe what I'm doing will help?

There are fine screens upstream of the cats, they're probably a mess. I'd think to use a crow bar and turn them into HI FLOW cats, but I don't know how the ecm would like that? Where I live they don't do the sniffer thing for our annual inspections.
View media item 27446View media item 27445

Every task that you have completed has been a dealer equivelant repair of an existing issue, but you are doing better work because you cant pay a 9 to 5 mech to treat your equipment as though it was there own. the AFM baffle will hopefully have you at 5k oil changes with minimal consumption. We did another ca to sedona az loop, 1300 miles, averaged 18.7 mpg in complete comfort/safety and our daughter watching movies with the headphones while wifey listens to xm! these vehicles are amazing and im at 131k miles! You are going to love your "urban limo" when its completed.

OP
OP
donjetman

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
*UPDATE* - Changed spark plugs today.

Today I installed a set of ACDelco # 41-962 plugs. I removed ole obsolete ACDelco 41-985 plugs that I had cleaned up(see pics in post# 1 here) and re-installed back in Dec of 2018 when I had first purchased the vehicle with 131k miles. Back then it was burning and leaking oil like crazy. Folks here told me to install a catch can. This showed me it was catching an oz of oil every 100 miles. This amount of oil being sucked into the combustion chambers had "stuck" the piston rings. It also needed a rear main seal. I did a little research and discovered TSB# 10-06-01-008M: TSB# 10-06-01-008M So I did the valve cover update, installed the bypass deflector, and did an extra long piston/combustion chamber soak with Gunk brand "Motor Medic". I also replaced the rear main seal.

Today vehicle has 171k miles, it doesn't need any makeup oil between extended changes, the catch can doesn't catch much of anything, and it's dry as a bone underneath.

Below is a pic I took "today" of the ole plugs that I pulled out. They have 40k more miles since I cleaned them(see pics in post# 1) and no sign of oil burning. YEAH!
DSCN9996.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
21 tots hoes Z71

Latest posts