Using Dexron VI instead of Dexron III

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The only time I have heard of problems with a fluid change is a complete fluid change during a flush or whatever you want to call it. It was explained to me that the all new fluid is a shock to the clutches and the trans service with filter and top off fluid will still have new fluid mix with old and not give the clutches that shock. There are some here that believe that to be a "wive's tale" but when I was in the business, that long ago, I was told that by fellow techs in transmission shops. I think the big difference now is the updated fluid and better additives so the wive's tale may hold true in this instance.

OP
OP
L

lumberjack890

Reaction score
The only time I have heard of problems with a fluid change is a complete fluid change during a flush or whatever you want to call it. It was explained to me that the all new fluid is a shock to the clutches and the trans service with filter and top off fluid will still have new fluid mix with old and not give the clutches that shock. There are some here that believe that to be a "wive's tale" but when I was in the business, that long ago, I was told that by fellow techs in transmission shops. I think the big difference now is the updated fluid and better additives so the wive's tale may hold true in this instance.
Exactly

NEECAPR

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just a suggestion that I haven't seen here yet. No matter how much mileage you already have on the transmission, start changing SOME fluid at every engine oil change--or even more often. Easy to do with a 1/2" nylon tube down the dipstick tube hooked up to a clear juice jar receiver then out to your shopvac. You don't get much each time. My '99 SLE only gives up about a quart and a half each time--about 10%? of the running charge each time. But, it's easy, quick, strictly topside, and never gives the transmission a totally new fluid shock.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
How does this help? The same can be accomplished with a trans filter service every 20K-30K miles. Your process reminds me of a guy never changing his oil and filter because he has a bad oil leak and just adds oil all the time and therefore the oil change is not needed. What am I missing?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
griffey_mojo