Maintenance fluid and filter questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ny_summit

Reaction score
Hello everyone, new here. Well sorta. I had an account before for my 03 XL that I sold years ago. I recently picked up an 07 xl denali with 86k miles.
I want to swap all the fluids out. I'm finding mixed opinions on what to use. I'd like to stay with gm fluids.
For the front and rear diffs I'm reading I need synthetic axle lubricant. (10-4016)

For the transmission dexron vi (10-9394)

Now for the confusion, transfer case fluid do i use the same dexron vi ATF?

For transmission filter i have no idea which part # I need. I have the deep pan.

Pls guide me to the correct information and which part #s are correct. Thank you everyone.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230220_160857_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20230220_160857_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20230220_160906_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20230220_160906_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230110_151800.jpg
    20230110_151800.jpg
    539.3 KB · Views: 8

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, new here. Well sorta. I had an account before for my 03 XL that I sold years ago. I recently picked up an 07 xl denali with 86k miles.
I want to swap all the fluids out. I'm finding mixed opinions on what to use. I'd like to stay with gm fluids.
For the front and rear diffs I'm reading I need synthetic axle lubricant. (10-4016)

For the transmission dexron vi (10-9394)

Now for the confusion, transfer case fluid do i use the same dexron vi ATF?

For transmission filter i have no idea which part # I need. I have the deep pan.

Pls guide me to the correct information and which part #s are correct. Thank you everyone.
Welcome back! The owners manual for my 2007 Yukon XL Denali specifies GM 88861800, which is manual transmission fluid for the transfer case.

1676928472890.png

For the transmission filter, this should be the one you need: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=994080&cc=1433415&pt=8600&jsn=489&jsn=489&jsn=489

Last edited:
OP
OP
ny_summit

ny_summit

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. The manual trans fluid is what's confusing me. I'm reading in places it's been replaced with dex vi and that's what should be used for the transfer case.

OP
OP
ny_summit

ny_summit

Reaction score
Welcome back! The owners manual for my 2007 Yukon XL Denali specifies GM 88861800, which is manual transmission fluid for the transfer case.

View attachment 392562

For the transmission filter, this should be the one you need: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=994080&cc=1433415&pt=8600&jsn=489&jsn=489&jsn=489
I found my manual it also shows the manual transmission fluid. I ordered that for the transfer case, the dex vi for the trans, and the synthetic axle lube for the diffs. I ordered that trans filter as well as per rock auto shows it fits.

Should I buy a new gasket for the rear diff cover?

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice find! Only 86k! Would love to find a clean one like that. Enjoy.

I wouldn't overthink the fluids too much. Use GM stuff if it makes you feel better. Otherwise good name brand dextron6 (trans and t-case), 5w-30 synthetic for the motor, and synthetic 75w-90 for the diffs. I think the manual calls for regular 80w-90 for the front diff, but a good synthetic will work as well. I'm not sure if the manual trans fluid is any different than dextron6, but I'd like to know if there is a difference.......always up for learning new stuff.

Also to note on the front diff, you want to change it warm and it will probably come our with a metallic glisten to it. IT'S NORMAL on these, along with some fur on the magnet. You may want to change it twice in close succession depending on how it looks, but with 86k I can't imagine it would be too bad.

OP
OP
ny_summit

ny_summit

Reaction score
Nice find! Only 86k! Would love to find a clean one like that. Enjoy.

I wouldn't overthink the fluids too much. Use GM stuff if it makes you feel better. Otherwise good name brand dextron6 (trans and t-case), 5w-30 synthetic for the motor, and synthetic 75w-90 for the diffs. I think the manual calls for regular 80w-90 for the front diff, but a good synthetic will work as well. I'm not sure if the manual trans fluid is any different than dextron6, but I'd like to know if there is a difference.......always up for learning new stuff.

Also to note on the front diff, you want to change it warm and it will probably come our with a metallic glisten to it. IT'S NORMAL on these, along with some fur on the magnet. You may want to change it twice in close succession depending on how it looks, but with 86k I can't imagine it would be too bad.
Thank you! Yes 86k and overall pretty clean.
I ordered what ever oils show up in the owner manual. For the front and rear diff shows a 75w90 synthetic axle lube. T case shows the manual transmission fluid. Already did an oil change and changed air filter and added a cabin air filter.

I've never done fluid changes on diffs or trans but I'll be giving it a try. The diffs and t case seem easy enough. I'll have to decide If I'll bring it to a shop for the trans fluid change although I'd prefer to do it myself.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I applaud the willingness to learn and try. The trans pan is not the easiest to get off BTW. I'm not trying to discourage you, just a forewarning that it's a very tight fit with the exhaust crossover pipe and you either have to pry the exhaust down and flex the pipe enough to slide the pan by or loosen all the flange nuts. Be careful sliding the pan out that you don't catch the shift solenoid connectors and break them.

Let me know about the manual transmission fluid for the t-case. I'm curious as to the color and consistency of the fluid. I've never put that in before, but want to know. Thanks!

Onlyone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and get a transmission pan with drain plug. Makes it much easier to drain and fill again. 6 quarts.

here is the OEM filter

and gasket

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645