Useless Information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks like prices might go up as it went from 20 to 24 overnight

I told my sister to invest 3 days ago when it was 19$ would have made 2,500$ over night on a 10k investment
It’s temporary. It will drop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My daughter and I installed the Tilt and Shock sensors today to the factory alarm system. GM had never installed these in my truck's configuration so the engineers got involved and updated the software that I would need to get them working.

Little went as planned despite reading the instructions and pouring over the photos for hours and hours. Soon as I squeezed into the foot well many things changed!

First we had to hook up the Tech-2 to the truck and go to the Service Programming section which downloaded the truck's VIN and computer part numbers into the Tech-2 so the ACDelco TDS system could compare them with what is in their library.

Second, take the Tech-2 out of the truck and hook it up to my desktop PC and fire up ACDelco TDS and then the Tech-2. They talk to each other, it is set up for remote programming, then I choose options I want on only ONE module. Made that mistake thinking more than one were being programmed. When that was done, took the Tech-2 back to the truck and programmed the Instrument Panel Cluster module and than repeated the process to program the Body Control Module. This is short version to give y'all an idea, not step by step.

So now that software has been loaded to truck, we can install wiring and sensors. Pull BCM out of its bracket and unplug all the connectors to access three of them. Three wires from the included wiring harness plug into the plugs on the BCM. Then we plugged in the other connector to the Instrument Panel Relay block. Then we plugged in the other sensors and tested them.

Tilted the one sensor and the alarm went off. Banged on the dash and glass and the alarm went off. Adjusted to my liking and then mounted the Tilt Sensor on the BCM bracket but 90 degrees different from instructions to clear a metal bracket. Shock Sensor mounts on wiring harness with zip tie.

Next project where programming is needed will be the 2-Way Advanced Remote Start. Already collecting the individual parts, the complete kit for my truck is no longer available through GM.

Garage needs a cleaning and then I want to do maintenance on the rear brakes and change the transmission fluid. That other post about the stuck caliper reminded me that I had wanted to change my brake fluid last year but ran out of time and energy. Should be able to do it by gravity into cups partially filled with brake fluid. Bought 3 bottles of Lucas DOT3 last year, only one was opened. Have to read the bottle to see if that one is still good.

Hope to get all that done by the end of next week and take her for a nice drive. Control arms shortly after. China Flu keeping the kids at home to help Dad but it sure is costing us a lot of money!

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My daughter and I changed the transmission fluid the other day. First we removed the airbox to make it easier to remove the top transmission cooler line from the radiator. We then inserted a Hayden 397 adapter attached to a length of nylon tubing purchased from Home Depot, 1/2" OD and 3/8" ID. Put the airbox back in and ran that line down to a bucket marked at 3 gallons. We started the engine and let the transmission's pump empty the pan, about 6 quarts or halfway to the mark on the bucket.

Then transferred Dexron VI from the 6 gallon box I bought from RockAuto to an old gallon container twice, putting two gallons into the transmission. Then we started the truck again, ran her up and down through the gear selector, holding in each for about 5 seconds. After a few minutes my daughter noticed the color change so the engine was shut off and the Hayden adapter and line removed and the return line plugged back into the radiator.

We then added another 3 quarts and then a final quart checking the fluid at the cold setting even though the transmission's temperature had reached 100 degrees. COLD marks are for 60-90 degrees if memory serves. Took the truck out on the road and then made a full power run through 1st and 2nd to third while merging onto the highway and ran up to the next exit, turned around and came home. Pulled into the driveway with the temperature at 160, checked the level again, it was in the middle of the HOT marks.

While on the run, my daughter monitored the various transmission parameters on the Tech-2 and I later reset the internal Transmission Oil Life Meter to 100% from 77%. Nothing abnormal noticed. As mentioned earlier, we recently sent off a sample to Blackstone-Labs for analysis and the result was that the transmission is in excellent health but the fluid was nearing the end of its service life.

Fluid was changed for the first time back in August of 2017 when the mileage was at 117,432 miles. The fluid had 36,106 miles and 1200 hours on it. We have not been inside yet at any time to change the filter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518