Useless Information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ohh yeah, reset all the counters save for "fuel used". Just created an excel spreadsheet to log this until satisfied. I figured you meant 20 and a half, unless you didn't tell us about the gear vendors overdrive! LOL

Today my buddy gave me two bottles of Super Tech Concentrated Fuel Injector and Carburetor Cleaner, little 6 ounce bottles. He uses them in his Duramax when the mileage drops. We poured two bottles into my 1/2 empty tank and then topped the truck off down the street after breakfast. On the way home, the average was almost 19 mpg. Then began my usual daily round of errands which included about 20-30 minutes of idling and the DIC showed middle 14s when finished. Sure hope that does the trick.

He says those bottles are less than a buck at Walmart.

I actually researched the GV over/underdrive as an alternative to a 6L80 conversion. But, the GV unit isn't able to be integrated to the 4L's shifting to be fully automatic. I'm not gonna be pressing a button once or even twice between every gear.

On the additive note, when I first got the Tahoe, I dumped a bottle of B12 Chemtool in the tank when it was down to 1/4 full for the first ~6 tanks or so. I'd drive it until it was really low so the concentration was strongest. Did the same with a couple of Seafoam bottles, too. I had a bunch of the additives from a cheap bulk purchase at a scratch-and-dent store. So there may very well be something to your adding of the cleaner.

I think those SuperTech bottles are likely the same thing as the more expensive brands. I like their brake parts cleaner and keep 6-8 on hand for cleaning and for torching wasps and ants.

Looking forward to your results.

Sgtduckyboy

Reaction score
I have an 06 Z71. 190K on it, still purring. I know I'm probably on borrowed time since I doubt anything has ever been replaced internally.
but I can tell you this. I have had several different driving styles , due to different financial times the last 3 years, and by staying under 70, not accelerating for stupid reasons and cruising over hills with little foot on the pedal, I managed to get over 17MPG in a hilly route to and from work over 32 miles each way. Now, when I didnt give a rats ass, money was fine and I'd just waste it, pedal down as much as i want, going 75-80, on same route, it'd be more like 14.5-15 MPG. Not much difference most would think, but its a 20% difference, thats an extra 20% of fuel costs, every fifth tank is almost free, when you are broke, that matters.
I did try a predator tuner, that helped a little. but the biggest thing, that engine hates dirty thin oil. I can start to hear some rattle around 3500 miles on heavy acceleration and by 4500, it sounds like its going to die from a dead stop trying to go up hill, lol. BUt after an oil change , she's purring quietly again and it takes a real hard and heavy accel to get any noise out of the engine.
I forgot what rearend I have, but I did put on 20's and calibrate the speedo with the Predator.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 06 Z71. 190K on it, still purring. I know I'm probably on borrowed time since I doubt anything has ever been replaced internally.
but I can tell you this. I have had several different driving styles , due to different financial times the last 3 years, and by staying under 70, not accelerating for stupid reasons and cruising over hills with little foot on the pedal, I managed to get over 17MPG in a hilly route to and from work over 32 miles each way. Now, when I didnt give a rats ass, money was fine and I'd just waste it, pedal down as much as i want, going 75-80, on same route, it'd be more like 14.5-15 MPG. Not much difference most would think, but its a 20% difference, thats an extra 20% of fuel costs, every fifth tank is almost free, when you are broke, that matters.
I did try a predator tuner, that helped a little. but the biggest thing, that engine hates dirty thin oil. I can start to hear some rattle around 3500 miles on heavy acceleration and by 4500, it sounds like its going to die from a dead stop trying to go up hill, lol. BUt after an oil change , she's purring quietly again and it takes a real hard and heavy accel to get any noise out of the engine.
I forgot what rearend I have, but I did put on 20's and calibrate the speedo with the Predator.

Use good oil and don't beat on it and it may see another 100K+ miles.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck was at 14.6 mpg average on Saturday, but by the end of today it's down to 13.1 due to several hours of idling. Still playing with air pressure too.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too bad V4 didn't kick in while idling, then I'd be golden! AFM is turned off.

I was looking into a GV Overdrive for my F-Super Duty back in 1990. With a ZF 5-Speed and 5.13s gears we were maxed out at 65 or so mph unless we were drafting a rig or running downhill. But that thing pulled 33,000 pounds all across the Eastern Seaboard at 10 mpg nearly 24-7 for years on end. We never shut our trucks off back then. Anyhow, I decided against it because my uncle was a nut and would have figured a way to blow it up. That's the reason I gave up on the Bank Turbo kit too! My my, the choices we have today I used to dream about for hours on end, mile post after mile post.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too bad V4 didn't kick in while idling, then I'd be golden! AFM is turned off.

I was looking into a GV Overdrive for my F-Super Duty back in 1990. With a ZF 5-Speed and 5.13s gears we were maxed out at 65 or so mph unless we were drafting a rig or running downhill. But that thing pulled 33,000 pounds all across the Eastern Seaboard at 10 mpg nearly 24-7 for years on end. We never shut our trucks off back then. Anyhow, I decided against it because my uncle was a nut and would have figured a way to blow it up. That's the reason I gave up on the Bank Turbo kit too! My my, the choices we have today I used to dream about for hours on end, mile post after mile post.

Sounds like the truck a buddy of mine in DE bought a couple years back. He rebuilt the motor and towed his trail rigs until his wife was stationed in Germany.

No way lack of AFM is costing you that many MPG. Have you compared your RTD to anyone else's?

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please forgive my ignorance, RTD?

Actually, I didn't think it was that bad considering all of the idling. Refueled the truck today. It averaged 13.2 mpg for 188 miles in 9.6 hours. Took on 14.9 gallons of fuel. I think that is a fuel burn of 1-1/2 gallons per hour and an average speed of about 20 mph.

Then save for dinner, spent the next 3 hours or so idling or going to and from, the average never reached 8 mpg.

Did I notice right and that the DIC does not have an average speed counter? My 2006 Montana has that feature and I like it. Normal city driving in the Montana would show an average speed in the low 30s.

I'd be surprised if that truck was still on the road! It had was headed for a million miles by the time I was done with it.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please forgive my ignorance, RTD?

Actually, I didn't think it was that bad considering all of the idling. Refueled the truck today. It averaged 13.2 mpg for 188 miles in 9.6 hours. Took on 14.9 gallons of fuel. I think that is a fuel burn of 1-1/2 gallons per hour and an average speed of about 20 mph.

Then save for dinner, spent the next 3 hours or so idling or going to and from, the average never reached 8 mpg.

Did I notice right and that the DIC does not have an average speed counter? My 2006 Montana has that feature and I like it. Normal city driving in the Montana would show an average speed in the low 30s.

I'd be surprised if that truck was still on the road! It had was headed for a million miles by the time I was done with it.

RTD = Real Time Data- the data stream from the sensors shown in real time. I was asking if you had compared it to someone with a similar vehicle. But, maybe it's irrelevant and your Yukon actually is running as it should. I know you said you idle a lot, but I didn't understand the full extent of your "idling a lot". You a PI?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9

Latest posts