Useless Information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As of a little bit ago when I parked after working today, 103,450 on the odometer, 397.5 engine hours, and 9,053 gallons of fuel used! I think the engine hours may have been reset. I’m sure I’ve driven more time on the engine in the 2 and a half years I’ve owned my Denali than that. But over 9,000 gallons of fuel used blows my mind! Lol

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
3.42’s in my 13 tahoe and on a 2-2.5hr trip (4-4.5hr round trip) at 70-75 i got 17 with range device plugged in and 17.8 without it....

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
My normal driving is about 50/50 local /highway. I usually average about 16 according to the computer. I run 89. It seems to give me the best results.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As of a little bit ago when I parked after working today, 103,450 on the odometer, 397.5 engine hours, and 9,053 gallons of fuel used! I think the engine hours may have been reset. I’m sure I’ve driven more time on the engine in the 2 and a half years I’ve owned my Denali than that. But over 9,000 gallons of fuel used blows my mind! Lol

That would make your truck's lifetime average fuel economy 11.4 mpg! I thought mine was thirsty! In truth it is better than my old '96 F-150 with the 302 which averaged 12 mpg and then just over 11 mpg after the flotation tires were put on to eliminate flats and ruined tires.

Now that the weather is getting cooler, the new plugs and wires will go in and maybe that will help the mileage. When Black Bear tuned the truck, he said it was running just fine both in feel and by watching the sensors. He figured the tune would be worth 1-2 mpg at least.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would make your truck's lifetime average fuel economy 11.4 mpg! I thought mine was thirsty! In truth it is better than my old '96 F-150 with the 302 which averaged 12 mpg and then just over 11 mpg after the flotation tires were put on to eliminate flats and ruined tires.

Now that the weather is getting cooler, the new plugs and wires will go in and maybe that will help the mileage. When Black Bear tuned the truck, he said it was running just fine both in feel and by watching the sensors. He figured the tune would be worth 1-2 mpg at least.
Yeah it’s lived for the couple years in the mountains so it’s alot of around town driving. It’s thirsty. lol. The DIC says current average is 14.6.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jenn daily drives mine and I'd estimate her driving mileage to be about 50/50 highway/city at best. Could probably be considered more city mileage than highway because I-10 is usually a parking lot. The MPG according to the DIC is usually around 16.2-16.4. Last road trip we took loaded with 2 adults, 2 kids, 3 suitcases and other misc. luggage, I averaged mid-20s cruising at 75. This was on I-10W through the Florida panhandle, AL, MS, LA...

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder how much your air intake and exhaust mods contribute? Seems like 2 or 3 mpg. Granted, mine weighs 5,900 pounds empty and is the regular length and 4WD but the six speed and 3.42 gear should make even the difference or get closer.

Another 2 hours in the truck today, same route, not as much idling, DIC went up to 13 then idled long enough to bring it back down to 12.7 mpg.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder how much your air intake and exhaust mods contribute? Seems like 2 or 3 mpg. Granted, mine weighs 5,900 pounds empty and is the regular length and 4WD but the six speed and 3.42 gear should make even the difference or get closer.

Another 2 hours in the truck today, same route, not as much idling, DIC went up to 13 then idled long enough to bring it back down to 12.7 mpg.

I just realized I didn't say what I meant in my last reply. When I said "mid-20s", I meant "20.5", not "25". Sorry about that!. Once I got off the interstate and cruising on the local highway at 65MPH, I got almost to 21MPG. Had that highway been longer, I would've seen that number on the DIC.

Anyway, I doubt my mods contributed much at all other than sound. I'm one to be pretty well in-tune with my rides and prefer to err on the conservative side when assessing results, but I MAY have felt a slightly stronger mid- to upper-RPM pull with the MIT and Dryflow filter. You and I both know there's no way deleting the resonator made any difference other than sound and appearance. I didn't drive it long enough with the stock intake to get any solid baselines. Maybe at this next oil change (in a couple of weeks) I'll put the stock intake tube back on for comparison. But there's no way that tube is good for any noticeable MPG improvement.

Do you reset your MPG gauge before each trip? If not, it's factoring in all the previous trips/idles/etc.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ohh yeah, reset all the counters save for "fuel used". Just created an excel spreadsheet to log this until satisfied. I figured you meant 20 and a half, unless you didn't tell us about the gear vendors overdrive! LOL

Today my buddy gave me two bottles of Super Tech Concentrated Fuel Injector and Carburetor Cleaner, little 6 ounce bottles. He uses them in his Duramax when the mileage drops. We poured two bottles into my 1/2 empty tank and then topped the truck off down the street after breakfast. On the way home, the average was almost 19 mpg. Then began my usual daily round of errands which included about 20-30 minutes of idling and the DIC showed middle 14s when finished. Sure hope that does the trick.

He says those bottles are less than a buck at Walmart.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodlife_chevy